Mad-Mike
Mad-Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10 yrs GM dealership experience servicing all GM models. 20 years total experience as a Technician o
24127527

My 2002 Cadillac STS has 60,000 miles on it and the Service

Customer Question

My 2002 Cadillac STS has 60,000 miles on it and the Service Engine Soon light is coming on 2,000 miles after service. Can something be done to correct this or do I need to just keep adding oil in between oil changes? Thank you.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Mad-Mike replied 4 years ago.

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JA.

The "Service Engine Soon" light is not trelated to the oil life monitor, nor is it related to oil consumption. This light means that there is something wrong with the vehicle and it needs to be diagnosed using a scan tool in order to retreive the code that is turning on the "SES" light, and following the diagnostics for the applicable code.

The lights, or messages, that occur due to oil level will be "check engine oil" or "Engine oil low". The message for service will say "change oil soon", or some vehicles can turn on a "service vehicle soon" when there is a minor issue like a brake light or something.

Checking your engine oil is always important, but in this cadse, you need to start by getting the code that is turning this light on. If you intend to diagnose theis yourself, I can help you. If that is what you'd like to do, you can stop by a store like Autozone to have them puill the trouble code for you.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I apologize for having to leave the house for the afternoon.

I live in a very small town and there are no Autozone stores. I would like to see if the garage down the street (not where I had the car serviced the last time but have in the past) would be willing to give me the error code. Besides the oil being down and dirty, It appears the coolant is also low. I recently had the water pump replaced and the anti freeze refilled in March 2009. I'm getting more confused.

Expert:  Mad-Mike replied 4 years ago.

Ok, I see.

There may be new coolant leak or source of oil consumption, but in order to know why the light is on, we just need the code.

Be sure to top off the coolant and oil right away.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. I will try to get the error code tomorrow and contact you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was not able to get the error code today. I will try tomorrow. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
With the Holidays and all, I have finally gotten the error code. They said the error code was 386 and it involves the crankshaft.
Expert:  Mad-Mike replied 4 years ago.

Ok, thank you for the information.

This code does invlolve a crank sensor circuit. Your vehicle uses 2 crank sensors that are positioned right close to each other. Thses sensors have been updated by GM, so replacing both of them is adviseable, but the sensor that is involved in this code is sensor B.

There is, however, a potential that the code could be caused by a wiring problem. There will be some circuit testing necessary in order to verify that the sensors being replaced will resolve the problem. A good visual inspection of the wiring in the area could reveal a problem as well.

I hope that helps you pinpoint the problem. It doesn't explain any new coolant or oil leaks, but that is what is turning on the light.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. I did have a message a week or so earlier that said to check the security system but it went out and I haven't had the message again. Could that also be tied into this? Do you think these are major expenses I am looking at? It is my intent to "Accept" and I truly appreciate your help.
Expert:  Mad-Mike replied 4 years ago.

I don't consider the crank sensor issue to be a huge expense as far as repairs go, they aren't too bad.

The thing I'm more concerned about are the oil and coolant leaks. These cars develop some leak issues that require a 20 hour engine teardown in order to repair, so It would be worth considering since you say there are no real Cadillac repair centers near you.

I don't want to scare you into getting rid of the car if you aren't ready yet, but this is worth considering if you were already debating.

Thanks,

Mad-Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 10 yrs GM dealership experience servicing all GM models. 20 years total experience as a Technician o
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
THANK YOU.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The SES light never came on again after our previous discussion until last weekend when I had to be towed from a very busy highway forty miles to home. The car just died at a red light. When I tried to move on the green light, the dash lights lit up and the car just died. After the large towing bill, my local mechanic said the car started right up and was running fine when it reached his shop. There was nothing he could check as long as the SES light had gone off. He says there is no solution to the problem except waiting for the light to come on and then testing it while it is on. Naturally, I need the car but do not feel safe leaving town waiting for this to happen again. Is there a solution now that the car is running fine? I have noticed that the car does not always start with the first turning of the key but after a try or two it does. I think this may be related. Can you suggest what I should do? Thanks.