Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.

how to replace oil pan gasket on 2002 cadillac seville

Customer Question

how to replace oil pan gasket on 2002 cadillac seville?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 6 years ago.
Is the engine and transmission still in the car?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I had a oil pan gasket leak so I thought i could just change the gasket.
Nope. It cannot be done that way. Even if you manage to get all of the bolts out of it, the pan will not come out. That exhaust pipe that runs under the oil pan also wraps around the top of the transmission, either the engine or the transmission has to come out to remove that pipe, and until you remove the pipe, that oil pan is not coming out. Put the bolts back in it. This is a big, big job.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

So if I put all the bolt back to stop the leak what stop leak d o you recommend?

Stop leak won't stop the leak. The gasket is going to have to be replaced, if that's what is leaking. More commonly, the crankcase seals leak, which is further above the oil pan. I don't generally replace oil pan gaskets unless I'm doing crankcase seals, I do it all at once, because it's an all day job in a shop on a lift to get this done, and I don't want to have to do it twice. This job costs a couple of thousand dollars to have it done at the shop, because it's that much work. I love doing them. But I would never, ever attempt to do one on the ground in my driveway. I'd say it's impossible to do without a lift and the proper tools to remove the transmission.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Jerry, thaks for your help.

You're welcome. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't want you to get in too deep on this, you'll be over your head in no time. This is a serious bit of work.