john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  15 years as a auto tech
6149662

Can you tell how long an engine block has been cracked by looking

Can you tell how long an engine block has been cracked by looking at it?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 4 years ago.
is it overheating?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes. I know the engine block is cracked. I am trying to figure out how long it has been cracked. The low coolant light kept coming on and I kept adding coolant and there wern't any leaks on the ground. So I took the car in for service and the mechanic said on the bill that the "pumping housing and the water pump and cover was leaking" and they replaced those things for $700.00. Then the low coolant light came on again about six hundred miles later and I took it back and now they say the engine block is cracked. If the engine block was cracked when I took it in in the first place I want my money back-- I would have just tried to buy a new car because the repair bill for the engine block crack is almost $6500 dollars. The mechanic says that moisture could have gotten into the engine when I added coolant earlier and that the leak could have then have cracked the engine block when the coolant pump housing was "sealed" but one of my friends from high school looked at the crack and there are alot of stains around the crack. My husband says that this is my fault because instead of taking the car in for repairs right away, I added coolant and tried to ignore the problem. If this is my fault then I won't take it any further, but if the mechanic screwed up and gave me bad advice and charged me 700 dollars, I want my money back if I can prove it.

The northstar is not none to crack blocks. They are famous and notorious for head gasket leaks and head bolts pulling out of the blocks. There is a gm service bulletin on this. I would have another shop check it out to confirm.

Engine - Aluminum Thread Repair Kits
Notes

File In Section: 06 - Engine/Propulsion System

Bulletin No.: 00-06-01-016

Date: August, 2000

INFORMATION

Subject:
Enhanced Aluminum Engine Component Thread Repair Process

Models:
1993 Cadillac Allante
1993-2001 Cadillac Eldorado, Seville
1994-1999 Cadillac DeVille Concours
1996-2001 Cadillac DeVille
2000-2001 Cadillac DeVille Touring
1997-2001 Chevrolet Corvette
1998-2001 Chevrolet Camaro
1995-2001 Oldsmobile Aurora (V8)
1999-2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora (V6)
1998-2001 Pontiac Firebird
with 2.2 L, 3.5 L, 4.0 L, 4.6 L or 5.7 L Engine
(VINs F, H, C, 9, Y, G, S - RPOs L61, LX5, L47, L37, LD8, LS1, LS6)

An enhanced thread repair process has been developed for use on General Motors aluminum engine components for the above listed engines. The thread repair kits used for this process represent a significant advancement in aluminum component thread repair, providing consistently repeatable high quality repairs which, when properly performed, will meet or exceed the original specifications. This enhanced thread repair process can, and should, be used to repair aluminum engine components, instead of complete engine replacement, whenever possible. Kent-Moore has distributed these thread repair kits to General Motors dealerships as part of their essential tool packages. The J 43965 Thread Repair Extension Kit has proven to be invaluable in the repair of difficult to access thread repair locations. Listed are the Engine VINs / RPOs and the applicable Kent-Moore essential tool thread repair kits.

Consult the appropriate applicable GM Service Manual or Kent-Moore thread repair kit for complete detailed instructions on the proper use of the above thread repair kits.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Important : This Thread Repair Labor Operation can only be used in conjunction with other component Labor Operation numbers.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This isn't what I want to know. I want to know if there is a way I can figure out if the engine block was cracked before I got the first repair work that I talked about done and if by adding coolant instead of taking it to the mechanic right away I caused the engine block to crack because I let too much moisture go into the car engine. If this is my fault it is my fault. If it isn't I want my money back.
There is no real way to to tell how long a block has been cracked. The only way to realy crack a block is to let it freeze from water instead of coolant in below freezing weather or internal damage. Blocks generally do not crack
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience: 15 years as a auto tech