Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Need to remove and replace a 2003 Cadillac Sedan DeVille Passenger-side

Need to remove and replace a 2003 Cadillac Sedan DeVille Passenger-side mirror
About to retrieve one from a junk yard. So need to know both procedures. I believe mine was broken by someone trying to steal it.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX must remove the trim panel to get to the bolts for the mirror, I will post that procedure and the mirror removal procedure below, Tim
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
Notes

Mirror Replacement - Power

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the door trim panel to gain access to the power mirror wire harness connector. Refer to Trim Panel Replacement - Side Rear Door (See: Doors, Hood and Trunk\Rear Door Panel\Service and Repair\Rear Door Panel Replacement) .
  2. Remove the garnish molding. Refer to Garnish Molding Replacement - Front Door Frame (See: Interior Moulding / Trim\Trim Panel\Service and Repair\Garnish Molding Replacement - Front Door Frame) .

1. Disconnect the power mirror wire harness electrical connector (5) from the door module.
  2. Disconnect the wire harness from the retainer clip (4).
  3. Remove the mirror fasteners (3).
  4. Remove the mirror (1) from the door.
  5. Unseat the grommet (2).
  6. Pull the wiring harness through the hole in the mirror patch.

Installation Procedure

1. Route the mirror wiring harness through the hole in the mirror patch.
  2. Seat the grommet (2).
  3. Install the mirror (1) into the door frame. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.
  4. Install the mirror fasteners (3). Tighten the mirror fasteners, in this order: forward, top, rear, to 9 N.m (80 lb in).
  5. Install the mirror wire harness into the retainer clip (4).
  6. Connect the power mirror electrical connector (5) to the door module.
  7. Install the garnish molding. Refer to Garnish Molding Replacement - Front Door Frame (See: Interior Moulding / Trim\Trim Panel\Service and Repair\Garnish Molding Replacement - Front Door Frame) .
  8. Install the door trim panel. Refer to Trim Panel Replacement - Side Rear Door (See: Doors, Hood and Trunk\Rear Door Panel\Service and Repair\Rear Door Panel Replacement) .

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
Notes

Trim Panel Replacement - Side Front Door

Tools Required

J 36796 Clip Zip Clip Removal Tool, or J 38778 Door Trim Pad Clip Remover

Removal Procedure

1. Position the window fully downward.

1. Ensure the manual lock knob (1) is in the unlock position.
  2. Insert a flat bladed tool into the top service notch in order to disengage the locking clip (2) located at the front of the manual lock knob (1).
  3. Remove the manual lock knob (1).

1. Remove the inside handle bezel from the inner door panel in the following order:
  1. Hold the inside handle to the open position.
  2. Insert a flat bladed tool at the front lower corner of the bezel.
  3. Pry outward on the bezel.
  4. Remove the bezel from the inner door panel.
  1. Remove the screw attaching the inside door handle to the sheet metal.

1. Use the J 36796 or J 38778 in order to release the eight retainers around the outside edges of the door trim panel.

1. Slide the door trim panel (1) upwards to release it from the following:
    • The alignment datums (4)
    • The eight retainers
    • The arm rest steel retainer clips (3)
    • The inner belt molding (2)
  1. Disconnect the door trim panel electrical connector.

Installation Procedure

1. Slide the electrical connector (4) into position on the water deflector (1).
  2. Remove the steel retainer clips (2) from the arm rest pull handle brackets.
  3. Slide the steel clips (2) into the nylon nuts (3).

1. Install the door trim panel to the inner door in the following order:
  1. Position the door trim panel (1) downward over the following:
    • The manual lock rod
    • The inner belt molding (2)
  1. Engage the door trim panel simultaneously into the following:
    • The alignment datums (4)
    • The electrical connector
    • The armrest pull handle retainer clips (3)
    • The eight retainers

Caution: This screw must be properly installed. This screw is critical in order to maintain retention of the inside handle to the slider-glide mechanism. Failure to properly install this screw may allow the door to unlatch during a collision, resulting in personal injury.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.

1. Install the screw attaching the inside door handle to the sheet metal. Tighten the screw to 0.5 N.m (4 lb in).
  2. Install the inside handle bezel to the inner door panel in the following order:
  2. Insert the rear hook on the bezel to the wood trim tab.
  3. Press the forward end of the bezel inward until it is fully seated.

Important: Ensure the manual lock rod is in the full up/unlocked position.

1. Position the manual lock knob (1) into the bezel opening until the locking clip (2) bottoms out on the bezel.
  2. Engage the locking clip (2) located at the front of the lock knob (1) to the lock rod.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I ONLY WANT TO REMOVE THE MIRROR. NOT THE ENTIRE ASSEMBLY.

If I remove the entire assembly then I'll have to get them to paint it to match my car colour which is an unusual blue.

SO MY QUESTION IS HOW TO POP OFF THE MIRROR WITHOUT BREAKING THE GLASS?

I recall on a 2002 that I had, On receipt from the dealer the mirror was defective and their technician tried to replace it with one they had in stock and it broke. They had to order a new one.

It's just removal of the lass mirror that I'm interested in.

Thanks

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry, i thought you were replacing the whole mirror, I will post the procedure below for the glass replacement, you must be very careful when pulling the glass off, it can break easily, but it is just snapped into the motor housing,Tim
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
Notes

Mirror Face Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the standard mirror glass assembly (2) from the housing (1) of the outside rear view mirror assembly.
  1. Manually tilt the mirror glass assembly inboard towards the vehicle.
  2. Insert your fingers behind the mirror glass and gently pull the assembly from the housing.
  1. Disconnect the electrical connectors.
  2. If one or both of the actuator shaft(s) (4, 7) come off with the mirror glass assembly perform the following procedure:
  1. Push the actuator in the direction of one of the two slots of the molded ring where the actuator ball attaches and disengage it from the mirror glass assembly.
  2. Ensure that the actuator springs (6) are not pushed down on the actuator shafts but are seated in the groove provided.
  3. Install the actuator shaft(s) (4, 7) on to the mirror assembly power drive unit (5) by pressing and rotating the actuator on to the power drive unit.
  4. Ensure the actuator shafts are pushed down completely into the power drive unit (5).
  5. Push the memory plungers (3) into the power drive unit. (If the vehicle is equipped with memory, RPO A45.

Installation Procedure

1. Rotate the actuator shafts (4, 7) on the power drive unit in order to align the flats on the actuator ball with the corresponding slots of the molded rings on the back of the mirror glass assembly.
  2. Connect the electrical connectors to the new standard mirror glass assembly (2).
  3. Install the new mirror glass assembly.
  4. Align the center pivot point and the actuator shaft(s) (4, 7) on the mirror glass assembly with the corresponding attachment points on the power drive unit.
  5. Use a 5 cm x 10 cm (2 in x 4 in) sanding block and firmly press the mirror glass with enough force to engage the center pivot point onto the power drive unit.
  6. Install the upper (vertical) actuator shaft (7), apply pressure to the top of the mirror glass assembly with the sanding block until an audible snap is heard.
  7. Install the vertical memory plunger (3) (if the vehicle is equipped with memory, RPO A45).
  8. Manually tilt the glass assembly to the full down position.
  9. With the sanding block, apply pressure evenly to the bottom of the mirror glass until an audible snap is heard.
  10. Install the side (horizontal) actuator (4).
  11. Manually tilt the glass assembly outboard, away from the vehicle.
  12. With the sanding block, apply pressure evenly to the outboard portion of the mirror glass until an audible snap is heard.
  13. Install the horizontal memory plunger (3) (if equipped with memory, RPO A45).
  14. Manually tilt the glass assembly inboard towards the vehicle.
  15. With the sanding block, apply pressure evenly to the inboard portion of the mirror glass until an audible snap is heard.
  16. Check all functions by electrically operating the outside mirror assembly in the following directions: (up, down, left and right).
  17. Perform a system check, if the outside mirror does not operate correctly. Refer to Diagnostic System Check - Door Systems () .
  18. Ensure the actuator shafts are seated properly by repeating steps 6-13.

Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience: 30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK thanks.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
anytime my friend, just take your time and it should be ok,Tim