FIXITMAN, Master Technician

2005 Cadillac SRX: V8..clunking noise on hard acceleration..runs great

2005 Cadillac SRX V8. Car has clunking noise on hard acceleration. Otherwise runs great at any speed.
Independent shop says transfer case is bad. They tell me the problem is caused by putting on new rear tires and causing binding in the transfer case. Only problem, the clunking began before the new tires. Car has 95k miles.
Front and rear tires are different sizes on the SRX so can't be rotated. Fronts wear out at about 30k miles, rears at about 40 to 45k. I have never replaced them at the same time. A cadillac dealer replaced the front tires the first time and a different Cadillac dealer replaced the rears at a later date. Neither advised me to change all 4 at once. There is nothing in the owners manual about this either.
Repair shop will not do the repair unless they are satisfied that tires are the same tread depth.
Front-Michelin Pilot HXMXM4 23560R18 (tread depth 5/32), Rear Michelin Pilot HXMXM4 255/55R18 (11/32), (3/32 prior to new tires).
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 6 years ago.
HelloCustomer are there any warning lights illuminated on the dash? How many miles are on the vehicle? Is the vehicle at the dealer?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No warning lights. 95,000 miles. Car is at independent shop. Nearest caddy dealer is about 50 miles. I will take it there if I need to.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 6 years ago.
Okay. THere is a common issue with the computer programming that will cause this. The transmission control module and the ECM can both cause the transmission and the transfer case to shift at the wrong times and cause this clunk. I would have these reprogrammed first. If that does not help then I would first look into a problem with the front differential or differential mount. Both of these are much more common failures that the transfercase. With this many miles, also make sure all of the fluids have been changed.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is the tire question a concern or not? I believe it is on Audi AWD, but I didn't think it mattered on the SRX system.
Thanks for your help. It sounds like a little more investigation is in order before a major repair.
Let me know on the tire question and then I will gladly hit the accept button.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 6 years ago.
As for the tires this does not typically happen on this vehicle. The tires should not make a difference unless one set is completely worn out and the other is brand new. If they are similar in tread depth then this will not be an issue.