Goodwrench9124
Goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer,Hrybrid certified

I have a 03 Escalade esv and the air ride has stoped working.

Customer Question

I have a 03 Escalade esv and the air ride has stoped working. The dash flashes "service ride control" and I have a diag code of c0455. I checked the harnes to the pump and I have power at the pump. I have jacked the truck up to put on winter wheels and again to put summer wheels "20inch" back on. The service air ride did not come on anytime around those wheel changes.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Goodwrench9124 replied 4 years ago.

Hello, and welcome. this code C0455 is for the steering wheel position sensor on the bottom of the steering column. when this code sets, the auto air will be diabale until this code is fixed. normally requirs a replacement steering position sensor.

DTC C0455

The code is displayed on the scan tool as DTC C0455.
The suspension control defaults to firm.

The following conditions are possible causes:

A malfunctioning steering wheel position sensor is present.
A steering wheel position sensor circuit is open.
A steering wheel position sensor circuit was shorted.

Perform an inspection of the wiring and of the connectors.

If there is anything you dont understand, please feel free to ask me to explain

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Would those reasons cause the air ride to stop working?

If I replace the steering wheel position sensor will the service ride control display turn off.

What does the steering wheel position sensor have to do with the air ride for the leveling of the truck?

this vehicle uses a electronic controlled suspension. the air pump is only part of the system, there are other sensors, a main control module. any of these can cause the pump to come on and cause the warning message to appear. you have pulled the code c0455 which is a fault with the steering position sensor. yes this would be the first place to go. and yes, the air pump will be diabled and not run, if there is anything that goes wrong in the system
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was able to find the SPS and it looks pretty easy to take out. Is there anything I should worry about when I try to replace it?

Thanks for the help and is there a way I can follow up with you after I do?

the only think you have to watch, make sure the steering wheel is staright when you remove the old sensor, and make sure it stays staright, the replacement sensor will have a pin installed in it, this is so it wont turn before installing the new sensor. dont pull the locking pin until you have the new one installed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Last questions, If i replace the sensor and the air ride does not work what is the next step.

Do I have to reset anything?

you shouldnt havnt to reset anything, this system will clears itself once the repair has been made. if this doesnt fix, then a system rescan would need to be done again, if you like we can keep this post going, and if you need further help, we contiue from here?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That would be great, I will buy the sensor and put it in as soon as i get it. I will try the dealer today and maybe put it in tomorrow thanks for the help

you are very welcome, we will wait to hear from you and see how things go.

Just let us know how things go!!!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The parts dept is closed on saterdays so I will try Monday
Ok, just let us know monday how you come out with this
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I changed the steering wheel position sensor and the dash still displays "service ride control" on the message board. The ride control is still not working. Do I need to have the thing reset or does it take a few key cycles?

It is Tuesday and I drove the truck for the first time today and the air ride still does not work and now it is idleling very low and will even die as I come to a stop.

Its Wednesday and i was able to clean the throttle body and truck runs normal again. The air ride still has not started to work and I have not had time to have the code reset. any info on this would help.