Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years exp,Cadillac 6 yrs
13677702

94 Deville: service ride..ride control..Struts look to be fine

Customer Question

I have a 94 Deville. Just started seeing the "service ride control" error message. Struts look to be fine. Any ideas or common known issues?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Hello, is the level of the vehicle normal or did you see it raise up or drop down?
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech, 32 years exp,Cadillac 6 yrs
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry, I did not mean to submit as answer yet, i have questions first
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the ride is very mushy but level seems to be OK
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
It may be the ride compressor has stopped working ad air is going doen very slowly. One way to isolate the problem is we need the trouble code. You can get the code via the climate control but does involve steps and will look intimidating. Do you have a parts store nearby. Many scan fro free. With the code, i can be more certain as to problem
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can get it from the climate control. what are the steps?
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
graphicHOW TO ENTER DIAGNOSTICS
To enter diagnostics, proceed as follows:
  1. Turn the ignition "ON".
  2. Push the "OFF" and "WARM" buttons on the CCC simultaneously and hold until the segment check appears on the IPC. NOTICE: Operating the vehicle in diagnostics for extended time periods without the engine running or without a battery charger will cause the battery to run down and possibly relate false diagnostic information, or cause a no start condition. To ensure proper operation, attach a battery charger, if vehicle is to be operated in diagnostics without engine running for periods longer than 1/2 hour.

SEGMENT CHECK
The purpose of illuminating the IPC is verify all segments of the LED displays are working. The turn signal indicators do not light during this check. Further diagnosis should not be attempted unless all segments appear, as this could lead to misdiagnosis. If any portions or segments of the IPC displays are inoperative, the IPC must be replaced.

TROUBLE CODE DISPLAY
After diagnostics is entered, any trouble codes stored in computer memory will be displayed. Codes may be stored for the PCM, IPC, AC, DERM, TCS or RSS systems.
Each trouble code consists of the system abbreviation (P - Engine (PCM), I - IPC, A - AC, R - SIR, T - TCS, or S - RSS), a three digit code identifier, and the letter C or H. All codes for each system are displayed together, in the order of their three digit number (lowest first - i.e. E013, EO14, etc.). The final digit of the code, a "C" or an "H" is used to indicate whether the code is current or history. "C" means the fault was still present the last time the diagnostic test was run, while "H" means the failure was not present the last time the code was tested for.
If no codes are present for a system, a "NO X CODE" message (with X being the system i.e. E, I, A, R, T or S) will be displayed. If the communication line to a component Is not operating, a "NO X DATA" message will be displayed, indicating that the IPC could not communicate with that system.
At any time during the display of trouble codes, if the "AUTO" button on the IPC is depressed the system will exit "Service Mode" and go back to normal vehicle operation.

STATUS LIGHTS
While in diagnostics, the displays on the CCC may be used to indicate the status of various inputs and operating conditions. The meaning of each word or symbol on the panel will change depending on whether the ACP or PCM system level is selected. This is detailed in the sections covering these systems.

SELECTING THE SYSTEM
After trouble codes have been displayed, a specific vehicle system (PCM, IPC, AC, SIR, TCS, or RSS) may be selected for testing.
The first available system will be automatically displayed (i.e. PCM). While selecting the system to test, any of the following actions may be taken:

1. Depressing the "HI" button on the CCC will select the displayed system for testing.
  2. Depressing the "LO" button on the CCC will display the next available system selection. This allows the display to be stepped through all system choices. This list of systems can be repeated following the end of the system list.
  3. Depressing the "OFF" button the CCC will stop the system selection process and return the display to the beginning of the trouble code sequence.

SELECTING THE TEST TYPE
Having selected a system, the first available test type will be displayed (i.e. PCM DATA). While selecting a specific test type, any of the following actions may be taken:

1. Depressing the "HI" button on the CCC will select the displayed test type. At this point the first of several specific tests will appear.
  2. Depressing the "LO" button on the CCC will display the next available test type for the selected system. This allows the display to be stepped through all available test type choices. This list of test types can be repeated following the display of the last test type.
  3. Depressing the "OFF" button on the CCC will stop the test type selection process and return the display to the next available system selection.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok...ill get the codes and b back
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
codes are IO39 and AO37 history
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.

These do not relate. Looking for current S code.Any found?

Code Description
SO10 Left Front Damper Solenoid Short to Voltage
SO11 Left Front Damper Solenoid Short to Ground
SO12 Left Front Damper Solenoid Open Circuit
SO13 Left Front Damper Solenoid Short Across Load
SO15 Right Front Damper Solenoid Short to Voltage
SO16 Right Front Damper Solenoid Short to Ground
SO17 Right Front Damper Solenoid Open Circuit
SO18 Right Front Damper Solenoid Short Across Load
SO20 Left Rear Damper Solenoid Short to Voltage
SO21 Left Rear Damper Solenoid Short to Ground
SO22 Left Rear Damper Solenoid Open Circuit
SO23 Left Rear Damper Solenoid Short Across Load
SO25 Right Rear Damper Solenoid Short to Voltage
SO26 Right Rear Damper Solenoid Short to Ground
SO27 Right Rear Damper Solenoid Open Circuit
SO28 Right Rear Damper Solenoid Short Across Load
SO30 Speed Sensitive Steering Valve Short to Voltage or Open Circuit
SO31 Speed Sensitive Steering Valve Short to Ground
SO32 Speed Sensitive Steering Valve Short Across Load
SO35 Electronic Level Control Compressor Relay Short to Voltage
SO36 Electronic Level Control Compressor Relay Short to Ground/Open Circuit
SO37 Electronic Level Control Compressor Valve Short to Voltage
SO38 Electronic Level Control Exhaust Valve Short to Ground or Open Circuit
SO43 Speed Signal Fault
SO44 Lift or Dive Signal Fault
SO50 Road Sensing Suspension Module Fault
SO60 Left Front Position Sensor Fault
SO61 Right Front Position Sensor Fault

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i dont think so. would it be PCM code? or other system?