Triston, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10yrs. exp ase master

99 catera speedometer and tach not working

Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Triston replied 7 years ago.

if you don't have a problem now with the car starting then the problem is a bad gage cluster and have to be replaced as a single unit. good luck. and please accept my answer. thanks T-MAN

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I was hoping a speed sensor would have something to do with my problem, but i'm not an expert. Any thoughts on that. If that is not the case, can u atleast explain single unit(does this mean replacing the entire dashboard)? I forgot to mention that the lights for some gauges are not being litup, not sure it this is related to that or not.
Expert:  Triston replied 7 years ago.
when i say single unit i mean the instrument cluster with all the gages together because some vehicle you can buy the TAC gage by itself but not on this car. but the speed sensor send info to the PCM and the PCM send serial data (module to module language) to the cluster which can't be measured but only view with a scan tool, and the light in the cluster will all come together with the gages and everything. good luck. and please accept my answer. thanks T-MAN
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Ok, before I start looking for instrument cluster. Would there by any chance that some pressure lines/electrical cables be crimped/breaken and make these gages not work? Or this has nothing to do with it. Last, the transmission has nothing to do with this? I will accept on this reply. Thank you