George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years

1997 Cadillac Catera: V..It is leaking water w/antifreeze..block

Customer Question

1997 Cadillac Catera V-6, it is whichever engine that came in it. It is leaking water w/antifreeze. It is coming from the bottom of the radiator hose where it goes into the block, where ever that is. At least as far as he can tell. It is on the drivers side of the car. The radiator is dry at the front of the car, and doesn't look wet. Can't see it can't find it! What has to be done to get to hose where or what he needs to change? Or could it be the heater hose? Please send diagrams, and instructions. My husband love working on old cars, but hates to work on the newer ones. As it is so congested you can't see or can't reach around anything to find or feel the hoses to see which one or where it goes for sure. I generally take it to the Cadillac garage, warranty end sometime ago, and don't have the funds. He was laid off his part-time job with company for small package delivery, just before I had surgery two weeks ago. I will be off my job for 3 weeks and it is minimum wage but full time. I'm 68 and he is 74 so can't find much in jobs these days, we take what we can get. So please help him fix my car. Thank you, Wanda
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

This may be an involved job as there can be extensive corrosion with the cooling system in your vehicle. Removing the lower hose may show that the lower intake pipe has rotted. The first thing that should be done is to get the vehicle up in the air safely so that the exact source of the leak can be determined.

Here is a diagram of the lower hose assembly so that you can see the components involved

graphic

Let me know what I can do to help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Frank has worked on cars his whole life. He already has the front end raised in air and blocked it securely also blocked back wheels (front and back). There is so much or other parts around (below and above)where he needs to get to the parts. What is safe for him to remove or partly remove that is not messing up the the elecronic sensing ect.?
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

First start with a strong flashlight and pressurize the cooling system so that the leak becomes evident. Once you can tell me the source of the leak I can help you with the removal of parts to replace the leaking component

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is leaking from the lower end of the upper radiator hose at of hose that connects to the thermostat component. It appears to be the thermostat component.

I went out and was help Frank as my hands and arms are a lot smaller then his. I can get my hand down to feel the hose.

It is raining here, and weather person said it will continue on and off until around the kick of MSU and MICHIGAN STATE game on Sat. It is going to be Sat afternoon before we can work on the car due the rain. The car is outside. We will get back on it Sat.

Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

I see it is the UPPER hose that needs to be replaced. Depending on the area of the leak the air intake plenum and the intake will have to be removed to replace the thermostat housing (if that is where the leak is)

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the Idle Air Control (IAC) inlet hose clamp.
  3. Remove the IAC inlet hose.
  4. Remove the intake plenum air inlet hoses from the throttle body.
  5. Remove the accelerator cable and cruise control cable clips from the throttle body linkage.
  6. Remove the accelerator cable from the bracket.
  7. Remove the accelerator cable and cruise control cable bracket bolts.
  8. Remove the accelerator cable and cruise control cable bracket.
  9. Remove the Throttle Position Sensor(TPS) and IAC electrical connection.
  10. Remove the brake booster threaded vacuum hose from the intake plenum.

1. Remove the wiring channel bolts (1) from intake plenum.
  2. Remove the electrical connection and vacuum hose (2) from the intake plenum switchover valve solenoid.
  3. Remove the vacuum hose from fuel pressure regulator.

1. Remove the intake plenum caps and bolts.

1. Remove the throttle body bolts.

1. Remove the throttle body from intake plenum.
  2. Remove the crankcase vent tube adapter cover and screw.
  3. Remove the crankcase vent tube adapter from the intake plenum.

1. Remove the intake plenum.
CAUTION: Mask off the ports to the intake manifold. Severe damage may result if foreign objects enter the engine.
  1. Remove the intake plenum O-rings.

REMOVE OR DISCONNECT

2. Remove the intake plenum. See Powertrain Management.
  3. Relieve the fuel system pressure. See Powertrain Management.

1. Remove the fuel supply hose from the fuel rail.
  2. Remove the fuel return hose from the fuel rail.
  3. Remove the fuel injector electrical harness connector.

1. Remove the intake manifold bolts.

CAUTION: Mask off the ports to the intake manifold spacer. Severe damage may result if foreign objects enter the engine.

1. Remove the intake manifold.

CAUTION: Do not damage the machined aluminum surfaces or improper sealing may occur.

1. Clean the intake manifold sealing surfaces with a nonabrasive tool or solvent.

Once you have all that off you can get to the thermostat housing

graphic

When you get around to finding the leak let me know if it seems to be in a different place

Thanks