scott
scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Caddy man from way back. Interface with on board system as well as scanner.
12331040

My 2001 Cadillac Eldorado wont start. I was checking the transmission

My 2001 Cadillac Eldorado won't start. I was checking the transmission fluid level with the engine idling when it just stopped running. I have all the lights the radio and instrument panel when I turn the key to the on position but when I turn the key to start the car I get nothing, no clicking, engine won't crank, dash info and radio display goes blank
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  scott replied 5 years ago.

This almost sounds like the Alternator stopped charging, and you used up the battery to the point the vehicle died and will not start.

The reason I think this is, is because the lamps and accessories work until you attempt to start. Then all goes blank. The accessories may pull, what 20 amps if all are turned on, a starter will pull 200-350 depending on the condition of the starter. IE; the starter is sucking the life out of the battery.

I would verify that all battery connections are clean and free of "acid hair" the white powder the grows on the terminals, and it has a full charge. If not, have it charged and get the charging system checked. If for some reason this is not the issue, let me know.

If it is, get beck with me, so I can click answer and we can call it completed.

Scott.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Scott
Thanks for getting back to me. I checked the battery terminals for corrosion and to make sure they were tight before posting my question. I checked the voltage output on the dash display before I tried to start the car. the display showed 11.8 volts with the key in the on position. I have since charged the battery overnight using a 2 amp charge. I don't have any way of checking the charging system without being able to start the car. I only bought the car about three weeks ago and have been periodically checking the charging rate while driving using the dash display with the results being in the mid 13 volt range
Expert:  scott replied 5 years ago.
So your at 13 volts now, but still have the same issue?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The 13 volts was observed while the car was running using the info button on the dash. After charging the battery overnight i went out to the car, turned the key to the on position and pressed the info button until I read the voltage it showed 11.8. I still cannot start the car. when I turn the key to the start position, the interior lights go out and nothing else happens. The starter does not even attempt to turn the car over.
Expert:  scott replied 5 years ago.
O.K. If the connections are good, and all you can get is 11 volts, I would double check and see what it does when cranking, if the meter takes a dive, no good, then replace the battery. If you have a shorted cell, it can pull the idle down and stall the car at an idle. After replacing the battery, if the vehicle starts, have the charging system checked.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
At this point the car won't crank at all. Are you suggesting that I turn the key to start position and observe the voltage on the dash display with the key in the start position?
Expert:  scott replied 5 years ago.
no, use your meter at the battery. Tel me what it does.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what sort of meter do I need?
Expert:  scott replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, I was under the inpression you also were using a DVOM. A digital volt meter. How old is the battery. If it is more than 4 years old, My bet is that.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The battery sticker has January 06 removed so I'm assuming that is when it was purchased. I will go buy a battery and possibly a dvom for the tool box. if the battery works I will click the accept button
Thanks
Expert:  scott replied 5 years ago.

Please get back with me if the issue persists. Also, when the battery is out, spray some neutralizer {get it from the store} around the battery box and terminals, clean with wire brush ans rinse.

PLEASE USE SAFTY GLASSED AND RUBBER GLOVES WHEN CLEANING.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
New battery is in, terminals are cleaned and still not cranking
Expert:  scott replied 5 years ago.
O.K. Meter on terminals, crank car, what volt reading do you have? Oh, are the lamps still going out?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Voltage on meter is 12.3 no change when key turned to start lamps still go out
Expert:  scott replied 5 years ago.
On your battery possitive cable. Is it a double wire {two thick wires} to one connector? I have had an issue with corrosion building up in between the contacts, and causing this issue. If this is not the issue, check the main cable at the fuse block under the hood. Is the nut loose, or is it damaged?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No it is not the double wire type. I had one of those on a 1994 Bonneville that i used to own. I know what you mean about the corrosion in between the connectors. what fuse block are you talking about? I see one on the left front inner wheel well but I can't see any cables coming to it
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Oops, found it. I didnt realize that the cover came off that easy. Is the cable connected at the bottom?
Expert:  scott replied 5 years ago.
There should be a curved cover to the back end of the box, and a bolt with the larger battery type wire going to it. Check the connection. Then underneath is the "out wires"
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
graphic
here is the fuse box that i am looking at. Is the positive cable from the battery connected just below the 30 amp fuse at the bottom of the left bank of fuses?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If so it is tight
Expert:  scott replied 5 years ago.

Well, I would guess you figured you were chasing your tail, but I wanted to check everything that was not the starter. We know the ignition switch is functioning due to the fact that key on works, and when you start, your getting, what seems an amp draw. As you know the starter is in the intake. I would like a starter draw test run prior to going in, but the tools needed, you will not have. We have gone as far as we can without including the wiring going to the starter. If for any reason the wiring to the starter has chaffed and grounded out, this could also cause an issue and the intake would need to be removed to access the starter.

I would reccommend a shop at this point, unless you want to try another expert. Let me know how you want to proceed.

Scott.

scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Caddy man from way back. Interface with on board system as well as scanner.