Wicked Wrench
Wicked Wrench, ASE/GM Master Certified 25Years
Experience:  8 time Cadillac Gold Level Excellence Award Winner
20496363

2006 Cadillac: I have a chronic electrical problems

Customer Question

I have a chronic electrical problems with my 2006 Cadillac De Ville. It has been in the shop 5 times and the dealer's mechanic can't find the bug. Friday, they installed a new battery. Today the car is in the garage dead and won't start. Something is draining the battery. Is there an open circuit somewhere and which one is most likely the culprit?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Wicked Wrench replied 4 years ago.
What needs to happen is to perform a Parasitic Draw Test on the Electrical System. Your Dealer should have a competent Technician to perform this.

I suspect you have one of the 17 modules "Waking Up" inadvertantly after the vehicle is shut off. The BCM, or Retained Accessory Power Module have been culprits in my service bay through the later years, but that would be for the Tech to verify.

If the vehicle is still under warranty, I would also give GM Customer Service a ring & let them know what is happening. I would also let the Service Manager know that you expect Factory Technical Assistance being involved, & what notes they have taken on your vehicle.

These situations can be quite trying for the Tech, & your patience is much appreciated, I'm sure, but your vehicle should be able to be fixed!

Also check your local "Lemon Laws" for anything that may help you if the dealer can't or won't.

Good Luck!

Before I let you go, here's a bulletin I found on just this situation. I would present it to your dealer as well, or just copy the bulletin number down & present it to them, I'm sure they'll be able to find it!

Electrical - Battery Goes Dead Overnight
Notes

Bulletin No.: 06-06-03-009

Date: October 19, 2006

INFORMATION

Subject:
Diagnostic Information on Battery Draw No Start - Body Control Module, BCM Power Timer Models:
2006-2007 Buick Lucerne
2006-2007 Cadillac DTS
2006-2007 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo
2007 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT, SRX
2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Equinox, Tahoe, Silverado, Suburban
2007 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL, Denali, Denali XL
2007 Pontiac Torrent

When performing normal diagnosis on a battery that has gone dead overnight, a technician may notice that the vehicle has approximately 4.1 amp draw on the system. The draw may be steady or may drop down to a low milliamp reading for 1-2 seconds and then rise back up to the 4.1 amp range. If this amp draw condition is observed, check for aftermarket accessories or an improperly installed GM accessory that is wired into circuit 6815 (orange wire) for courtesy lamps. Anytime aftermarket accessories are installed into the courtesy lamp circuit, it can cause the inadvertent power timer in the body control module (BCM) to keep resetting. The BCM will remain awake and cause the draw of approximately 4.1 amps.

When servicing a vehicle with this concern, back out pin 1 of the connector 2 at the BCM and see if the draw goes away. If the draw goes away, check for an aftermarket accessory (Lojack, non-factory DVD system, alarm, etc.) that is improperly installed in circuit 6815.

Experience: 8 time Cadillac Gold Level Excellence Award Winner
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dear Wicked Wrench

The local Cadillac dealer has had my 2006 Cadillac De Ville for a week now, and they still have not found the electrical problem that is causing the drain on the battery. Later this morning I'll be going to the dealer to see what the status of my vehicle is. They were impressed with the information I got from you and were unaware there was such an internet site that could give answers to problems such as mine. Please advise as to what other steps might be helpful in finding the problem.
Customer
That's great! You know, I'm not really sure what else to tell you as far as Diagnostics are concerned. I'm not there to oversee the process.

Have you gotten GM involved? Have they gotten Technical Assistance involved? These things should be in place at this time. I would also keep a close record of how many times & days the vehicle has been down, & if it is in excess, start the buyback process with GM.

Let me know what you found out today...