Goodwrench9124
Goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer,Hrybrid certified
5720312

How do you remove the third brake light on a 2004 SRX

Customer Question

How do you remove the third brake light on a 2004 SRX?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Goodwrench9124 replied 7 years ago.

Hello, and welcome, oddly enough, the liftgate has to be removed to replace the third brake light assembly

Remove the liftgate.

Remove the fasteners securing the high mounted stop lamp to the liftgate.

Separate the rear edge weatherstrip of the bezel from the liftgate. Use a plastic flat-bladed tool to release the adhesive strip from the liftgate.

Disconnect the high mounted stop lamp electrical connector from the wiring harness.

Separate the front edge weatherstrip from the bezel. Use a plastic flat-bladed tool to release the adhesive strip from the bezel.

graphic

Remove the fasteners securing the high mounted stop lamp to the bezel.

Remove the high mounted stop lamp from the bezel.

Remove the rear wiper arm.

Open the liftgate.

Remove the liftgate struts.

Remove the liftgate interior trim panel. Remove the liftgate applique.

Remove the liftgate wiring harness.

Remove the rear washer hose from the wiper motor assembly.

Remove the wiper motor.

With a grease pencil, mark the location of the liftgate hinge to the liftgate.

With an assistant, remove the bolts from the liftgate hinge.

graphic

With an assistant, remove the liftgate from the vehicle.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry, you're wrong about having to remove the liftgate. Before I received your reply, I removed the liftgate interior trim applique and locate two additional fasteners that hold the bottom edge of the brake light bezel down. The third brake light also has three locating clips that lift off easily. The assembly was easily removed without removing the liftgate. Unfortunately, your advise didn't answer the question I asked... are there more fasteners? For future reference, the third brake light assembly is held on with four screws, two that are visible with the liftgate open on each outboard edge, and two that are located under the trim panel (applique). The weatherstrip will undoubtedly have to be replaced in this procedure, as it is the means that fastens the front edge to the lift gate with two-sided tape that is part of the new weatherstrip.

Thank God I didn't get your advise and remove the liftgate! I am disappointed with your answer and cannot accept the advice for this reason. This was my first and last time I will be sucked in to paying for anything on justanswer.com.