Carguyjosh
Carguyjosh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech, 17yrs experience
12326834

2000 Cadillac Deville: the water pump belt..temp gauge..drove..cap

I have a 2000 Cadillac Deville that ran hot on me and when I got pulled over, the water pump belt was broken and the tensioner pulley for the water pump was shot. I replaced the belt, the water pump, the tensioner pulley and thermostat. After filling the system with 50/50 dex cool, I let it idle for about 30 minutes and the temp gauge stayed at the halfway mark, I then drove it for about 15 miles and the temp gauge elevated one bar above normal and I returned home (about 1 mile) and filled the purge tank again and let it idle with the cap off for about 15 minutes, then put the cap back on and drove it about 30 miles and then temp gauge elevated 1 bar once again for a minute and then dropped back down to normal range, another 20 miles and the temp gauge elevated 2 bars as I was arriving home. Can you tell me what is wrong that it is still running hot. Is there air in the system? Or what else can I do?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Carguyjosh replied 7 years ago.

It sounds as though you are still battling air in the system. These cars can be very stubborn to get all of the air out..

The best way to get it all out is to now let it cool down overnight...

Give it a full cool down cycle and let me know if you continue to have problems...

Thanks Carguyjosh

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
after the cool down in the morning what should I do?

Just be sure that the coolant reservoir is full and drive it...

All air should bleed out of the cooling system and be replaced by coolant..

If you run into more problems, please, let me know

Thanks Carguyjosh