Matt J
Matt J, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Tech,10+ Yrs Experince All Makes,Advance Training On All GM Makes
14582819

2000 escalade: dealership..the dome light..driving down..interior

Customer Question

my 2000 escalade needs a replacement BCM according to the local Cad dealership. The alarm goes off even with no shock or attempt to enter, the dome light doen't shut off after all doors are closed and when I am driving down the road the interior lock door button will not lock--only issues a beeping sound. OK so lets say its the BCM. There seem to be two opinions on where the BCM is located in a 2000 Escalade. One says its under the center console ahead of the disk player/ The second says its in the dash in front of the driver's steering column. The latter location would seem to be more labor intensive.

I know it has to be reprogrammed with a Tech 2 and that costs also./ My question- Where is the thing located and do the above symptoms suggest a new BCM rather that a simple reprogramming of the rdl(remote door lock) system???
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be more than happy to assist you.

Your problem can be the BCM, but it also can be wire related. When driving can you lock and unlock the doors from the passenger door and also with the remove?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No I can not lock the doors while Iam driving with the remote or the power lock button. Instead I get a beep beep beep similar to anopen door signal.
The car is notgaraged and there are ground squerrils which have munched on wires in my Saturn.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Also the interior dome light remains on as I drive. I have to press the override to turn it of
Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.

There are a few test I can guide you though to see if the body control module is bad or if you have a wire issue.

If you have a Test Light or Volt Meter with a Ohm setting let me know and I will tell you what to test.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. Volt ohm metre and test light
m
Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.

Here are the instructions to get to the body control module.

Unplug the body control module, hook the test light to battery positive, and touch the test light to each of these slots for the body control module connector

Blue connector Slot D11 Tan Wire, D12 Purple wire, and D13 Orange wire

Does the test light light up? Make sure you do the test with the doors closed.

graphic

Body Control Module Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the compartment trim plate.
  3. Object Number: 288153  Size: SH

4. Remove screws from console trim plate.
  5. Remove console trim plate by lifting at the rear of the plate and sliding rearward.
  6. Remove electrical connector from console trim plate.
  7. Remove the audio amplifier.
    Object Number: 288159  Size: SH

8. Remove the body control module by releasing the tabs.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can't find any "smiley face" to click on to accept the answers you've provided.
Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.

The except only shows when I hit the answer button. Since we are still trying to diagnose the problem I have no answer at this point.

Matt J, Cadillac Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Master Tech,10+ Yrs Experince All Makes,Advance Training On All GM Makes
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have to try out ur suggestions. It's 9 pm here in Colorado   So I won't get going on this until the morning. I feel good abt the info u provided -- so let me accept the answers an u can get paid. Thanks for ur help. Al
Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the Accept and Bonus.

Let me know what you find out tomorrow so it know if you problem is the BCM or Wire problem.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok Matt J.--Al with the bad BCM and 2000 Escalade

The BCM is bad- so I have another one from a 2000 escalade and want to replace the bad one. The R&R says remove the Bose audio amplifier. I've looked for some diagram as to which screws to remove etc. But I can't figure out what one's to remove so I have working space to replace the BCM. Is there a diagram or something.???
Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.

This is the only diagram gm has for the AMP.

Object Number: 288411  Size: SH

• Remove the amplifier screws.
  • Disconnect the electrical connector from the amplifier.
  • Remove the amplifier from the console through the bottom of the console.
  • Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    diagram sure doesn't look like my amp!!! and they say remove thru BOTTOM of the console? Is there a GM work time(how long it should take to R&R the bcm) for the replacement of the bcm if I decide to have it done at the local Cad dealer.
    Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.

Labor time is between 1.8 to 2.1 hours

Some of the instructions are missing for some reason. The hole console comes out.

Object Number: 288153  Size: SH

• Remove screws from console trim plate.
  • Remove console trim plate by lifting at the rear of the plate and sliding rearward.
  • Remove electrical connector from console trim plate.

• Object Number: 587775  Size: SH

• Remove the console to floor bolts (3,4.1,2).
  • Remove one of the front bucket seats.
  • Remove the seat retaining bolts.
    Object Number: 402347  Size: SH

• Disconnect the electrical connector (3) on the driver side, if equipped.
    Object Number: 402353  Size: SH

• Disconnect the electrical connector (2) on the passenger side, if equipped.
    Object Number: 311557  Size: SH

• Remove the seat from the vehicle.

• Object Number: 388717  Size: SH

• Disconnect the IP harness (1) and the cross body harness (5) connectors from the console.
  • Remove the console by sliding rearward and lifting out of the vehicle.
  • Matt J, Cadillac Technician
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    so much for DIY!!!
    I used to have a lift in my garage when I restored 65 and 66 Shelby GT350's but that was a while ago. No lifts- no garage now--so Hello Cadillac dealer. Thanks and I have accepted your answer.