Goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer,Hrybrid certified

2002 cadillac deville DTS: The service stability sys..without taking

Ihave a 2002 Cadallic Deville DTS The service stability sys warning comes on my dash, what does this do and what needs to be done to correct the problem without taking it to the dealer.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Goodwrench9124 replied 7 years ago.

Hello, and welcome. this service stabilty light is part of the abs brake system, there are many things that can be turning this light on. things like wheel speed sensors, yaw rate sensor, steering wheel positions sensors and some other things. you will need to have the anitlock brake control module scanned for trouble codes. once a trouble code has been read from the syste, then we would have a better idea what is going on.

Here is how the system works.

The vehicle stability enhancement system (VSES) includes an additional level of vehicle control to the EBCM. The VSES is activated by the EBCM calculating the desired yaw rate and comparing it to the actual yaw rate input. The desired yaw rate is calculated from measured steering wheel position, vehicle speed, and lateral acceleration. The difference between the desired yaw rate and actual yaw rate is the yaw rate error, which is a measurement of oversteer or understeer. If the yaw rate error becomes too large, the EBCM will attempt to correct the vehicle's yaw motion by applying differential braking to the left or right front wheel.

If there is anything you dont understand, please feel free to ask me to explain

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
O.k. I'm not totally confused but some what confused, If i take this to my local shop to have this looked at can this repair become very expensive on the worst case senero.can I drive the car without creating more damage until i can get it looked at. what is your best advice that you can give me because I don't think that i can do this repair.

yes most local shops can scan the system for codes. depending on what the problem is, it can be costly, but in most cases for this light coming on is a steering wheel position sensor. which is about $200.00 to $250.00 installed. and no you wont hurt a thing by driving with this light on. the only thing is the stabilty control wont function until this problem ahs been repaired.

worst case senerio is a bad brake control module part list for $917.65, but I dont think this is your problem