Derek B
Derek B, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  8 yrs exp. Ase certified with gm training and hummer certified
20658699

2000 cadillac deville: idles high..i have my foot on the brake

my 2000 cadillac deville idles high and wont go down it fells like i have my foot on the brake and the gas at the same time when i come to a stop
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Derek B replied 5 years ago.
Okay a couple of things you need to check here. First make sure you don't have any vacuum hoses unplugged. Next make sure the throttle blade closes all the way. It is probably not either of those things but you need to make sure. Next remove the Iac valve from the throttle body. It is on the side facing the front higher than the tps sensor. It has a 4 wire connector. Make sure this is clean. If it is not clean it. This valve controls the idle speed. After cleaning it turn the ignition on with the engine off. The Iac shouldmove in and out to find the stops. If it does not move you have either bad wiring, Iac or pcm. Most likely is Iac.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is that the idle air control valve
Expert:  Derek B replied 5 years ago.
Yes sorry. Iac is short for Idle air control valve.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
just put a new one in
Expert:  Derek B replied 5 years ago.
And it is still idling high with the new one? Does the iac move back and forth? Also does your throttle blade close all the way?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how can u tell if it moves ya it still idls high wher is the trottle blad and how do i no if its working
Expert:  Derek B replied 5 years ago.
The throttle blade is inside the throttle body. Take off the rubber intake hose and look inside the blade should be closed. Check to see if the iac is moving by taking it out. hook up the connector and turn the ignition on with the engine off. The iac should move in and out to learn the stops.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what if the blads are open what do i do and if the iac dos not move in and out what to do
Expert:  Derek B replied 5 years ago.

If the blade is open It is stuck. Check the throttle cable to make sure you have slack. If there is slack and the blade won't close try cleaning it to free the blade up. If there is no slack remove the cable from the blade to see if it closes farther. If it does your cable is bad. I still think your idle system is more likely though. Do you have a Iac tester or no?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no i dont have a iac tester some times it gos down you hear a clik when it gos down
Expert:  Derek B replied 5 years ago.
What goes down the iac or the throttle blade? If the iac it doesn't come all the way back out?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the idle some times drops so low u cant hear the car at all
Expert:  Derek B replied 5 years ago.
You will just be sitting there and the idle drops or like sometimes coming to a stop the idle is correct?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no when i start the car the idle is high then it should drop after 15 seconds but it dose not sumtimes and sometimes when i start it it is fine it will idle high then drop
Expert:  Derek B replied 5 years ago.
That is not the throttle blade. You need to check the iac. Also try while the engine is abnormally idling high wiggle the connector at the iac. If that doesn't work you need to check the wires from the pcm to the iac.It could also be a bad pcm driver. You diagnose a pcm by eliminating everything else.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
whats the pcm driver
Expert:  Derek B replied 5 years ago.
The driver is the part of the pcm that moves the iac. Drivers are the higher power of the pcm. For stuff like fuel injectors, Iac valve etc.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
whats a pcm
Expert:  Derek B replied 5 years ago.
Powertrain Control module. The computer that controls your engine functions.
Derek B, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 8 yrs exp. Ase certified with gm training and hummer certified