Kyle N
Kyle N, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  Master ASE Tech
652461

1994 Cadillac Deville: refrigerant..Instrument panel..compressor

how do i recharge the refrigerant in my 1994 Cadillac Deville? Instrument panel says very low refrigerant, a/c compressor off.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Kyle N replied 7 years ago.
<br />I always discourage people from repairing any A/C work unless trained prior. Not only is the refrigerant bad for the air we breathe if it's released into the atmosphere but you can serious hurt yourself as the stuff is under pressure and if can give you frostbite if it gets on bare skin.
<br />Here's the thing, the refridgerant isn't suppose to go low on it's own. It leaks out. "recharging it" doesn't fix the problem it just makes it work awhile. You need to find the leak and that's usually done by adding an amount of refridgerant to the system and then using a refridgerant sniffer or leak checker to find the leak.
<br />I recommend taking your car to an A/C shop to be fixed right.
<br />Whatever you do don't go and buy a "recharge kit" from the auto parts store and just charge it. Most of the time these kits have junk in the refrigerant like dye and extra oil the system doesn't need and it makes things worse.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm aware of all of that. Just wanted to know where the proper recharge port is located on this particular vehicle
Expert:  Kyle N replied 7 years ago.
I see,
The low side port is on the Accumulator. It's the metal cylinder under the hood. Let me know if you need more help.