Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience
2947720

Deville: Check engine light..scanned..i had a secondary air pump fault

I have a 03 Deville DTS. Check engine light on, idling rough. Got it scanned and it said i had a secondary air pump fault. Where is this secondary air pump< so i can replace it, and not take it to the dealer to be ripped off ???
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

It is on the front frame rail, left side. Here is a picture of it. P0410 code?

graphic

Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master tech, 30 years experience
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes it was a P0410 code. Is this part difficult to replace? Is it simple < just replace. No bleeding any lines or anything. I am pretty mechanically inclined. And finally, can this part be purchased at any auto parts store or a dealer item
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.

Not too bad, (about one hour) but you will want to get the pump from the dealer as well as the hose kit for it. There has been a service bulletin for that. Let me give it to you.

Emissions - SES Lamp ON/DTC P0410/AIR Pump Inop.
Notes

Bulletin No.: 02-06-04-024G

Date: June 05, 2006

TECHNICAL

Subject:
Service Engine Soon (SES)/Check Engine Light MIL Illuminated, Secondary Air Injection Reaction (AIR) Pump Ingesting Water and DTC P0410 Set (Replace Secondary AIR Pump and Inlet Hose Assembly or Filter Kit)

Models:
2000-2003 Cadillac DeVille
2001-2002 Cadillac Eldorado
2001-2004 Cadillac SLS, STS
2001-2003 Oldsmobile Aurora

with 3.5L V6, 4.0L or 4.6L V8 Engine (VINs H, C, Y, 9 - RPOs LX5, L47, LD8, L37)

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to update the model year for Cadillac DeVille, parts usage information and enhance the bulletin content. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-06-04-024F (Section 6 - Engine).

Condition

Some customers may comment on the "Service Engine Soon" (U.S.) or "Check Engine Soon" (Canada) malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) being illuminated. Technicians may find these additional conditions:

^DTC P0410 set.

^Evidence of water in the Secondary Air Injection Reaction (AIR) Pump.

^Secondary AIR Pump shorted out/inoperative.

Cause

This condition may be due to water being ingested at the secondary air injection reaction (AIR) pump inlet hose, causing the pump to short out or seize up.

Diagnostic Information

DTC P0410

Refer to SI for diagnostic information on DTC P0410.

If the diagnostic information above indicates a faulty AIR pump, follow the correction procedure below.

Note: After the service procedure in this bulletin was been completed, the Secondary Air Injection Shut-Off valve(s) must be checked. A stuck valve (from carbon) can cause exhaust condensation to collect in the air pump causing a repeat non-function AIR pump.

Correction

Aurora and DeVille

Note: A new Secondary AIR pump and Inlet hose assembly (kit), P/N 19515548 is now available and must be installed if the AIR pump is replaced. Non-replacement and re-routing of the AIR pump inlet hose when servicing the AIR pump may result in a repeat non4unction AIR pump from water ingestion.

1.Turn the wheels to the left.

2.Open the hood and install fender covers

3.On DeVille models, remove the upper filler panel. Refer to SI for information on the removal of the upper filler panel.

4.Remove the left headlamp assembly. Refer Headlamp Replacement in SI.

5.Remove the exiting AIR inlet hose retainer located between the inner and the outer fender.

6.Remove the secondary AIR pump. Refer to Secondary Air Injection (AIR) Pump Replacement in SI.

7.Remove the AIR pump inlet hose from the vehicle.

8.Install the new Secondary AIR Pump and Inlet Hose Assembly (Kit), P/N 19515548. Refer to Secondary AIR Injection (AIR) Pump Replacement and Secondary Air Injection Pump Outlet Pipe/Hose Replacement in SI.

9.Remove the left front inner fender splash shield retainers.

10.Reposition the splash shield to allow access for the new hose assembly installation.

Important:

Install the new Secondary Air Injection Pump Outlet Pipe/Hose Assembly to the new Air Pump before installing to the vehicle. This will allow the housing on the hose/pipe assembly to fasten to the pump without damage to one of the holding fasteners.

Important: Located on the inner fender behind the air box there is a oval stamped hole. The new AIR filter must snap into this hole in order for the AIR pump to avoid ingesting water. Removal of the Air Cleaner Assembly may be necessary.

graphic

Route the new AIR pump inlet hose between the left inner and out fenders as shown above.

Note: Secure the new AIR pump inlet hose and filter into the opening on the inner fender as shown above. If the filter is not properly secure to the inner fender repeat Non-Function Air pump may occur from ingesting water.

graphic

12.Snap the filter into the inner fender opening as shown above.

13.Reposition the inner fender splash shield into position.

14.Install the inner fender splash shield retainers.

graphic

15.Lower the vehicle

16.Install the left headlamp assembly. Refer to Headlamp Replacement in SI.

17.On DeVille models, install the upper filler panel. Refer to SI for installation procedures for the upper filler panel.

18.Check the operation of the Shut-Off Valve(s). Refer to SI for Secondary Air Injection description and operation of Shut-Off Valve(s) or refer to DTC P0410 for diagnostic testing of vacuum system, hoses, vacuum solenoid and shut-off valves.

19.Remove the fender covers and close the hood.

20.With a scan tool clear the DTCs and road test the vehicle.

SLS/STS

Note: A new Secondary AIR Pump and Inlet Hose Assembly (Kit), P/N 19515548 (2001-2003 SLS/STS) and 19515549 (2004 SLS or STS only), is now available and must be installed if the AIR pump is replaced. Non replacement and rerouting of the AIR pump Inlet hose when servicing the AIR pump may result in a repeat Non-Function AIR pump from ingesting water.

1.Open the hood and install fender covers

2.Remove the upper filler panel. Refer to Filler Panel Replacement - Upper in Body Front End in SI.

3.Remove the left headlamp assembly. Refer to Headlamp Replacement in SI.

4.Remove the AIR hose retainer.

5.Remove the secondary air injection (AIR) pump. Refer to Secondary Air Injection (AIR) Pump Replacement in SI.

6.Remove the AIR hose assembly.

Important: Install the new Secondary Air Injection Pump Outlet Pipe/Hose Assembly to the new AIR pump before installing to the vehicle. This will allow the housing on the hose/pipe assembly to fasten to the pump without damage to one of the holding fasteners.

7.A new Secondary AIR Pump and Inlet Hose Assembly (kit), P/N 19515548 (2001-2003 Seville) or P/N 19515549 (2004 Seville only), behind the headlamp mounting bracket as shown above.

8.Lower the vehicle

graphic

Note: It is critical that the new AIR inlet hose filter opening is facing downward when installed on the vehicle. If improperly installed Non-Function AIR pump may occur due to ingesting water into the pump.

9.Secure the new AIR hose filter with a plastic tie strap to the upper radiator support with the filter opening facing downward as shown above.

10.Install the headlamp assembly. Refer to SI Headlamp Replacement in SI.

11.Install the upper filler panel. Refer to Filler Panel Replacement - Upper in Body Front End in SI.

12.Check the operation of the Shut-Off Valve(s). Refer to SI for Secondary Air Injection description and operation of Shut-Off Valve(s) or refer to DTC P0410 for diagnostic testing of vacuum system, hoses, vacuum solenoid and shut-off valves.

13.Use a scan tool clear the DTCs and road test the vehicle.

Eldorado

Note: A new Secondary AIR Pump, P/N 25770944, and Inlet AIR Pump Filter Kit, P/N 15783306, are now available and must be installed if the AIR pump is replaced. Non-replacement and re-routing of the AIR pump Inlet hose and filter when servicing the AIR pump may result in a repeat non4unction AIR pump from water ingestion.

1.Open the hood and install fender covers.

2.Raise the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in SI.

3.Install a new AIR pump, P/N 25770944. Refer to Secondary Air Injection (AIR) Pump Replacement in SI.

4.Lower the vehicle.

5.Remove the left headlamp assembly. Refer to Headlamp Capsule Replacement in SI.

6.Remove the push-on retainer from the AIR hose.

7.Remove the exiting AIR filter from the hose.

8.Measure and mark 20 cm (8 in) back from the AIR hose end.

9.Cut the AIR hose at the mark made in the above step. DO NOT discard the cut off piece of hose.

10.Install one clamp from kit, P/N 15783306, onto the AIR hose.

11.Install the connector from kit, P/N 15783306, into the air hose.

12.Install the cut off piece of the AIR hose onto the other end of the connector.

13.Install the other two clamps onto the open end of the cut off piece of the AIR hose.

Note: It is critical that the new AIR inlet hose filter opening is facing rearward when installed on the vehicle. If improperly installed, a non-function of the AIR pump may occur due to water ingestion into the pump.

14.Install the new AIR hose filter from kit, P/N 15783306.

15.Crimp all three clamps.

16.Plastic strap the AIR hose to the headlamp mounting bracket.

17.Reinstall the left headlamp and closeout panel. Refer to Headlamp Capsule Replacement in SI.

19.Use a scan tool clear the DTCs and road test the vehicle.

graphic

graphic