David H
David H, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  18 years cadillac dealer.ase master certified.gm master certified
19861837

2006 Cadillac STS.

2006 Cadillac STS. "service stability system" indicator
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  David H replied 7 years ago.
You will need to have someone retrieve diagnostic trouble codes for the abs/traction control system with a TECH2 scan tool.Many times this problem is caused by a steering wheel position sensor failure.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
does the status indicator need to be on to pull the code? it is intermitant.
Expert:  David H replied 7 years ago.
<p>No when the indicator light is off the diagnostic trouble code will be stored as a history code in the computor module.If the indicator was on the code would be stored as a current code.</p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
took it to my local mechanic. no codes would pull up. he things it has something to do with an air leak in the rear shocks. says there is a danger of the pump running all the time, etc.... am i okay at a shade tree mechanic or should i take it to a cadillac dealer for repair?
Expert:  David H replied 7 years ago.
If the shocks are leaking they could damage the compressor but I don't believe that will cause your service stability light.That usually ends up being an intermittent failure of the steering wheel position sensor.I suggest going to the dealer for this repair.