Greg A
Greg A, Master Troubleshooter
Experience:  Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ Years
5229702

1999 Cadillac DeVille: glove box..locksmith..metal and plastic

My glove box on my 1999 Cadillac DeVille won't open. It is not locked. I've talked with a locksmith and he said that the lock has metal and plastic and that the plastic probably broke. I'm disappointed that Cadillac would even entertain plastic on a part such as this lock.

I have been told that my glove box will have to be destroyed to get it open. There is nothing really valuable in it; but if I do trade cars (mine has 87,000 miles on it), I would like to have the glove box working.

Is destroying and replacing the only option I have?

Thanking you in advance, Barbara (Wichita, KS)
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

Hello & Welcome,

Have you tried to "play with" the door or lock to see if you can "feel" the latching mechanism moving?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried to open the lock by hand. I also took my key and turned it to see if somehow someone locked it. It wasn't locked. I also tried to pry open the door (of the glove box) by going around it with a butter knife inserted. It didn't budge. My son is a diesel mechanic and he looked at it. He said he would have to destroy the front of the box or as did the locksmith or take the dashboard out.
Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

Hi again,

I was just wondering about the "feel" of the latching part. Sometimes, if I can feel it moving when I work the mechanism, I can sometimes get it to release by pressing on the door at the same time as I press the latch button/lever.

I also wanted to send a couple of diagrams along to you. I don't know if they will help, but at least you will have a little better idea how things go together. I got these from a procedure on how to replace the lock cylinder, but unfortunately, the first step of that procedure is to open the front compartment door.

graphic

graphic

Please feel no pressure to accept this answer. I am just trying to help out. From what I can see, it may be that the only choice would be to force the compartment door open, as was mentioned before. My only concern would be "where" it might break.

I hope this helps. Please let me know what happens or if I can provide more information.

Take Care & Good Luck, Greg A.

Greg A, Master Troubleshooter
Experience: Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ Years