john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  15 years as a auto tech

Im trying to change my fuel pump in my 03 cadillac cts, but

Im trying to change my fuel pump in my 03 cadillac cts, but im having a hard time getting to the 2 bolts that mount the straps. Whats the trick?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 5 years ago.
Fuel Tank Removal and Installation
Notes

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

CAUTION: Refer to Gasoline/Gasoline Vapors Caution in Service Precautions.

1. Drain the fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Tank Draining Procedure.
  2. Relieve the fuel system pressure. Refer to Fuel Pressure Relief Procedure.
  3. Remove the exhaust system.
  4. Remove the propeller shaft.

1. Disconnect the filler hose (1) from the fuel tank.
  2. Disconnect the filler vent tube (2) from the evaporative emission (EVAP) hose.

1. Refer to Quick Connect Fitting(s) Service (Plastic Collar) in order to disconnect the following from the chassis bundle:
    • The fuel feed hose
    • The fuel return hose
    • The fuel EVAP hose

1. Disconnect the fuel tank electrical connector.

1. Disconnect the EVAP hoses from the EVAP canister.
  2. Pull outward on the retainer tab in order to disengage the retainer from the chassis.
  3. Disconnect the electrical connector from the EVAP canister.

1. Raise the lower control arms using a suitable screw jack (3) in order to remove the load from the lower shock bolts (2).
  2. Remove the lower shock bolts (2).
  3. Remove the screw jack (3).

1. Position the screw jack under the rear frame near the adjuster tie bar, in order to support the front of the rear frame.
  2. Remove the 2 front bolts from the rear frame.

1. Lower the screw jack until there is approximately 50 mm (2 in) (a) between the front mounting surface of the rear frame and the chassis. This will allow clearance to access the fuel tank strap bolts. IMPORTANT: Use care not to over extend the rear brake hoses.

1. Remove the fuel tank strap bolts.
  2. Position the fuel tank straps downward around the rear frame.
  3. Carefully bend the fuel tank straps ONLY enough to allow the fuel tank to be removed.
  4. With the aid of an assistant, carefully lower the fuel tank from the vehicle. IMPORTANT: Ensure the following are free from the surrounding components while lowering the fuel tank:
    • The fuel tank wiring harness
    • The EVAP wiring harness
    • The EVAP hoses at the EVAP
    • The fuel/EVAP hoses at the chassis pipes
  1. Remove the following components if replacing just the fuel tank:

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Install the following components if fuel tank replacement was necessary:
  1. Pressure test the fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Tank Leak Test.

1. With the aid of an assistant, carefully raise the fuel tank to the vehicle, aligning the filler neck with the filler hose. IMPORTANT: Ensure the following are properly routed while raising the fuel tank:
    • The fuel tank wiring harness
    • The EVAP wiring harness
    • The EVAP hoses at the EVAP
  1. Carefully bend the fuel tank straps back to their original form. IMPORTANT: Ensure the fuel tank straps are not pressed into the fuel tank.
  2. Position the fuel tank straps around the rear frame and upward into position, aligning the holes in the straps with the threaded holes in the chassis.
  3. Install the fuel tank strap bolts. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions. Tighten Tighten the fuel tank strap bolts to 50 N.m (37 lb ft) .

1. Connect the filler hose (1) to the fuel tank. Tighten Tighten the fuel filler tube hose clamp (3) to 3.5 N.m (31 lb in) .
  2. Connect the filler vent tube (2) to the EVAP hose.

1. Connect the EVAP hoses to the EVAP canister.
  2. Insert the retainer into the chassis and press inward on the tab to engage.
  3. Connect the electrical connector to the EVAP canister.

1. Connect the fuel tank electrical connector.

1. Refer to Quick Connect Fitting(s) Service (Plastic Collar) in order to connect the following to the chassis bundle:
    • The fuel feed hose
    • The fuel return hose
    • The fuel EVAP hose

1. Raise the rear frame using the screw jack.
  2. Install the 2 front bolts to the rear frame. Tighten Tighten the rear frame bolts to 200 N.m (148 lb ft) .
  3. Remove the screw jack.

1. Position the screw jack (3) under the lower control arm in order to raise the lower control arms (2).
  2. Install the lower shock bolts (2). Tighten Tighten the lower shock bolts to 90 N.m (66 lb ft) .
  3. Remove the screw jack (3).
  4. Install the propeller shaft.
  5. Install the exhaust system.
  6. Refill the fuel tank.
  7. Inspect for fuel leaks.

john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience: 15 years as a auto tech