Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years exp,Cadillac 6 yrs

How do I remove the spark plug metal boot on my 02 cadi escalade?

how do I remove the spark plug metal boot on my 02 cadi escalade?
Hello, 5.3 or 6.0 engine?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
6.0 engine

Ok, thanks. Now, what are you trying to remove? the metal sleeve on the end of spark wire going to plug? or something else?

1. Disconnect the spark plug wire at each spark plug.
    • Twist each spark plug 1/2 turn.
    • Pull only on the boot in order to remove the wire from each spark plug.
  1. Disconnect the spark plug wire from the ignition coil.
    • Twist each spark plug boot 1/2 turn.
    • Pull only on the boot in order to remove the wires from the ignition coil.

Spark Plug Wire Length V8

• The Melco(R), square design, uses a spark plug wire (1) that is 145 mm (5.70 in) length cable seal to cable seal.
  • The Delphi(R), round design uses a spark plug wire (2) that is 110 mm (4.30 in) length cable seal to cable seal.

Ignition Coils

• There are 2 different manufacturers for the ignition coils, the Melco(R) (1) square design, and the Delphi(R) (2) round design. These 2 coils use 2 different spark plug wire, and mounting brackets.

• Melco(R), square design, coil mounting bracket (1).
  • Delphi(R), round design, coil mounting bracket (2).

1. Install the spark plug wires at the ignition coil.
  2. Install the spark plug wire to each spark plug.
  3. Inspect the wires for proper installation:
    • Push sideways on each boot in order to inspect the seating.
    • Reinstall any loose boot.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes I tried removing the metal boot that covers the spark plug but I can't there is a white dot on the metal boot should it be pointed in a certain direction the metal twists and slides up and down but won't come out
So I understand, you pulled the spark plug wires and the metal boot stayed down at plug? is this what happened?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No i havent pulled the wire off. I felt it would rip or tear off. should i pull the wire off then the metal boot? I wasnt sure what comes out first so i thought i would ask before i damage anything. Is there a special tool needed to remove it? or can I just pull it out myself? ( metal boot & wire)
Ok, I understand. You do not need to worry about any alignment marks. there are none,. the metwl boot just slips over the end of the wire "rubber" boot to act as a shield from heat etc.. Thats is. If you are trying to pull wires , the first thsing to do is make evry attempt to "rotate" the plug wire boot and metal boot as well. They stick to the plugs. When you grab hold and try to spin it, you will fell it free up and then pull off of plug. If the metal part stays, get needle nose pliers and pull the metal out and then put bck on plug wire. Use some Vaseline inside the wire boot when you go back on plugs. I am not saying a wire is not so stuck that you may break upon removal. This happens to techs all the time. Just be ready with new set of wires. If you are creful, try to spin the boot free from sticking to plug, you should be just fine