scott
scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Caddy man from way back. Interface with on board system as well as scanner.
12331040

Deville: caddy..I troubleshoot the trunk latch...tightly..trunk lid

Customer Question

97 caddy Deville. How do I troubleshoot the trunk latch. Latches, but motor does not run to tightly close the trunk lid. Need wiring diagram etc. Tx
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Carfix4you replied 7 years ago.
Hello Ben, and welcome to Just Answer. I will try to answer your question fully, and the more detailed information about the problem that you can provide, the faster I can answer. Any time you have any questions, need service information, or any diagrams, please ask. I'll do my best to answer your question, yet I don't get paid until you accept. Anytime you would like another opinion, let me know. Nine times out of ten, the pull down motor switch is the problem. It is not sold seperately from the motor. If the motor runs andlessly, then the gear is stripped in the motor. Those can be had for a litle under 100.00 HERE is the diagram in .pdf format.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Tx for the wiring diagram. I also need a step by step procedure to trouble shoot the unit. i.e. as an example; check for power at red wire in wiring harness for power. If power is there then do .....
Push the switch up and down. It is the black paddle. Does it click? If not, the motor assembly is junk. GRN/BLK Wire should have power to the motor. There are no trouble trees available from GM.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The wiring diagram you sent is of poor quality and difficult to need. Since youhave not been able to sent a checkout or diagnosic procedure to go along with the diagram, the wiring diagram is essentially useless.
I gave you the BEST advice possible for this issue. You will find a bad switch. I have found over a hundred. Good Day. Someone will be with you shortly.
Also, when an expert gives you a step by step procedure for that issue, I'll quit here,because there is NOT one.
Expert:  scott replied 7 years ago.

I am Scott, and i wish to assist you. I attached the wiring diagram and a Caddy procedure. If you run into an issue, scream. I will be here. Also, do yourself a favor and obtain, comshaw or procure a led type test lamp. I personally like to see a ground without switching the non test end from ground to positive. Just a personal preference that seems to help others.

Good luck.

Scott.

graphicgraphic