Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years exp,Cadillac 6 yrs

i was tighting a oilpan bolt and it broke what should i do

i was tighting a oilpan bolt and it broke what should i do??
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Hello, Not showing on my end yet. year?model? engine? lmk thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
97 cadillac deville 4.6l v8 northstar
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.

You just broke one? I assume the pan is on and being held by other bolts now?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes .and it broke off right about where the threads start.
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Is the pan in place with other bolts or off?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
inplace
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Last question, :( did you use any sealer or is gasket on dry?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i dont understand? i was just tighting a little because i had an oil leak-will it leak really badf cause i need to drive it tomorrow moring
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Ok, so you did not have pan off. You were tightening. This is good. I am asking questions so i know what happened etc so i can give you an accurate answer as to whether it will cause pronlems or not. A missing bolt in some places is worse than others. I promise i am here to help. Do not worry. I just want to be 100%clear on everything. In the pic below. is the broken bolt one of the spots showing? Again, I need full picture so i can give answer. We are almost done.
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

its a corner one

Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Ok, probably not the best spot but at least no the one near the oil passage on the side. It is an aluminum pan so it does not flex like the old tin ones did. If the bolts on either side of the corner one are tight, you should be just fine, Just be sure not to break another one next to the one currently broken. Shoul it be fixed? yes at some point. A shop has ways to remove it without removing pan in most cases. You are ok to drive, Like always keep eye on oil level. One oil pan bolt broken is not enough to cause a big problem. Worse case scenario, a small weep of oil, maybe. We tech have all done this one time or another.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when i drive it it smokes a little but is noticeable
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Where? under hood or out tailpipe?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

over near passengerside fender i guess its burning off? and a little out tailpipe

Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
This engine had a problem with oil leaks at the oil pan thus initiating a tech service bulletin to do a modified repair due to oli leaks at the pan gasket. Iam quite sure you have had will have some slight leakage and the oil gets on hot exhaust and then smokes. The broken bolt is not bad nor is it good. It really should be fixed but with only one broken one, you should be ok till then. I really do not have any other answer short of pulling the pan, using easyout to get broken piece out. I am simply saying as long as the others are tight, you should be ok for short while till you get fixed. Keep eye on oil. the smoking may slow down or quit. I am sure is is oil getting on exhaust. If you see large oil spots in drive, and the leak is fairly bad, it is time to pull the pan and do a full repair
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

what is easy out and i do apriciate your patients

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

what is easy out and where do you buy it

Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
An easy out is a very small drill bit in which you drill a hole, dead center of the broken bolt about 1/4 inch deep. You then insert the actual easy out which is a very small, special design bit with reverse threads so when you screw it in you are actually going opposite direction and it tightens up and the piece come out. The kit can be bought just about everywhere, parts stores, hdw stores, etc.. it si simply a tool desigbned to remove broken off bolts. Probably less than $25 for the kit.
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech, 32 years exp,Cadillac 6 yrs