Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years exp,Cadillac 6 yrs

Some buttons on my steering wheel dont light up how do i pop..bulbs

some buttons on my steering wheel dont light up how do i pop off the covers to check the bulbs under them
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Hello, not showing on my end yet. What year, model etc? lmk thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2005 cadillac deville
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Hello, This job could be tricky and potentialy dangerous as the airbag module must be removed first. Before this is done, you need to disarm airbags, You then need a special tool to remove module and then you will ne able to remove the buttons /switches etc to inspect bulbs. I wish there was an easier way. Some info folows for refernce. I high

SIR DISABLING AND ENABLING ZONE 1

DISABLING PROCEDURE

1. Turn the steering wheel so that the vehicle's wheels are pointing straight ahead.
  2. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
  3. Remove the key from the ignition switch.

1. Remove the rear seat.
  2. Locate the rear fuse center under rear seat, then remove the fuse center top cover.
  3. Locate and remove the SIR fuse from the rear fuse center. IMPORTANT: With the SIR fuse removed and the ignition switch in the ON position, the AIR BAG warning indicator illuminates. This is normal operation, and does not indicate an SIR system malfunction.

1. Open front hood, and locate the front end sensor (2) sometimes referred to as electronic frontal sensor (EFS).
  2. Remove the connector position assurance (CPA) (3) from the front end sensor (2).
  3. Remove the front end sensor connector (1) from the front end sensor (2).

ENABLING PROCEDURE

1. Remove the key from the ignition switch.

1. Connect the front end sensor connector (1) to the front end sensor (2).
  2. Connect the CPA (3) to the front end sensor (2).

1. Install the SIR fuse into the rear fuse center.
  2. Install the rear fuse center cover.
  3. Install the rear seat.
  4. Use caution while reaching in and turn the ignition switch to the ON position.The AIR BAG indicator will flash then turn OFF.
  5. Perform the Diagnostic System Check if the AIR BAG warning indicator does not operate as described. Refer to Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle in Vehicle DTC Information.

ly recommend a shop to perform this service

INFLATABLE RESTRAINT STEERING WHEEL MODULE REPLACEMENT

TOOLS REQUIRED
J 44298 Drivers Air Bag Removal Tool

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

CAUTION:

• Refer to SIR Caution in Service Precautions.
  • Refer to SIR Inflator Module Handling and Storage Caution in Service Precautions.

1. Disable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling Zone 3.

On the back side of the steering wheel are 4 openings for removing the driver inflator module.

1. Position the steering wheel so that 2 of the openings are at the top.
  2. Adjust and install J 44298 into the 2 holes.
  3. Push the handle back towards I/P, releasing the 2 spring-loaded retainers at the same time. IMPORTANT: Seat the air bag removal tool fully in the openings.
  4. Position the steering wheel in order to access the 2 remaining openings at the top.
  5. Push the handle back towards the I/P in order to release the 2 remaining spring-loaded retainers at the same time.
  6. Pull the driver inflator module gently away from the steering wheel.

1. Remove the connector position assurance (CPA) from the electrical connector. IMPORTANT: Note the driver inflator wire routing positions and the horn wire routing positions for the correct re-assembly.
  2. Disconnect the electrical connector (4) from the driver inflator module.
  3. Disconnect the horn electrical connector (2).
  4. Remove the steering wheel module (5).
  5. Fully deploy the module before disposal. If the module was replaced under warranty, fully deploy and dispose of the module after the required retention period. Refer to Inflator Module Handling and Scrapping.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Connect the horn electrical connector (2).
  2. Connect the inflator module electrical connector (4). Install the CPA to the driver inflator module electrical connector. IMPORTANT: Route the driver inflator wires and the horn wires correctly.
  3. Align the driver inflator module retainers to the steering wheel.
  4. Push the driver inflator module (5) firmly to the steering wheel in order to engage the drivers inflator retainers.
  5. Enable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling Zone 3.

Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech, 32 years exp,Cadillac 6 yrs
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
way to complicated there has to be a more simple solution all buttons work a couple just dont light up something simple like popping the covers off and replacing the bulbs
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
I wish there was. The switches hook under the air bag module/ It must come off first. I am not 100% certain there are bulbs that can be changed. I think they are incorportaed into the switches as LED's I will opt out to allow another expert to help