Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Cadillac Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

2004 DeVille: the inside LR door panel..window regulator..somewhere

How do I remove the inside LR door panel to replace the window regulator. 2004 DeVille. There must be some hidden screws somewhere.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Gm Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.

WElcome. Below are instructions for the removal of the door panel. It does show screw locations and the method for removal.

Rear Side Door Trim Panel Replacement (Standard)

Tools Required

J 36796 Clip Zip Clip Removal Tool or J 38778 Door Trim Pad Clip Remover or any trim removal tool.

Removal Procedure

1. Position the window fully downward.
    Object Number: 511164  Size: SH

2. Ensure the manual lock knob (1) is in the unlock position.
  3. Insert a flat bladed tool into the top service notch in order to disengage the locking clip (2) located at the front of the manual lock knob (1).
  4. Remove the manual lock knob (1).
    Object Number: 524185  Size: SH

5. Remove the inside handle bezel from the inner door panel in the following order:
    5.1. Hold the inside handle to the open position.
    5.2. Insert a flat bladed tool at the front lower corner of the bezel.
    5.3. Pry outward on the bezel.
    5.4. Remove the bezel from the inner door panel.
  6. Remove the screw attaching the inside door handle to the sheet metal.
    Object Number: 512052  Size: SH

7. Use the J 36796 or J 38778 in order to release the eight retainers (1) around the outside edges of the door trim panel.
    Object Number: 512056  Size: SH

8. Slide the door trim panel (1) upwards to release it from the following:
    The alignment datums (4)
    The eight retainers
    The arm rest steel retainer clips (3)
    The inner belt molding (2)
  9. Disconnect the door trim panel electrical connector.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 512053  Size: SH

1. Position the manual lock rod (1) vertically into the bell crank retainer clip (2).
    Object Number: 512054  Size: SH

2. Slide the electrical connector (4) into position on the water deflector (1).
  3. Remove the steel retainer clips (2) from the arm rest pull handle brackets.
  4. Slide the steel clips (2) into the nylon nuts (3).
    Object Number: 512056  Size: SH

5. Install the door trim panel to the inner door in the following order:
    5.1. Position the door trim panel (1) downward over the following:
    The manual lock rod
    The inner belt molding (2)
    5.2. Engage the door trim panel simultaneously into the following:
    The alignment datums (4)
    The electrical connector
    The armrest pull handle retainer clips (3)
    The eight retainers

Caution: This screw must be properly installed. This screw is critical in order to maintain retention of the inside handle to the slider-glide mechanism. Failure to properly install this screw may allow the door to unlatch during a collision, resulting in personal injury.

Object Number: 524185  Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

6. Install the screw attaching the inside door handle to the sheet metal.

Tighten
    Tighten the screw to 0.5 N·m (4 lb in).

7. Install the inside handle bezel to the inner door panel in the following order:
    7.1. Hold the inside handle to the open position.
    7.2. Insert the rear hook on the bezel to the wood trim tab.
    7.3. Press the forward end of the bezel inward until it is fully seated.

Object Number: 512057  Size: SH

Important: Ensure the manual lock rod is in the full up/unlocked position.

8. Position the manual lock knob (1) into the bezel opening until the locking clip (2) bottoms out on the bezel.
  9. Engage the locking clip (2) located at the front of the lock knob (1) to the lock rod.
Gm Tech (Cam), Cadillac Mechanic
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Happy with the help, completed the replacement of the window regulator in two hours. Will use the service again