Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

replacing the alternator on a 96 deville is giving me rage

replacing the alternator on a 96 deville is giving me rage attacks. I cant even get the radiator out to get at it. It looks as if even IF I get the radiator out (damaged Im sure) I cant see how I STILL can get to the alternator without pulling the engine or taking off the whole front of the car! what is the deal with this thing? It only has 70K on it to boot!
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Greg A replied 7 years ago.

Hello & Welcome,

Yes these things are kind of pain to change out. I can send you the instructions for the procedure if you would like. Just let me know.

Thanks, XXXXX

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK, the Haynes manual says to remove the radiator, and on first glance, that looks correct, because, well, you know that it is under the valve cover area, not much room. So I drain the system (pain) remove the fans (super big pain) un-do the trans lines, (not so bad) unbolt the mounts (simple) Now, the problem is the A/C radiator is kinda hanging there, with its lines hanging up the "real" radiator. I cannot fathom how to even get the fans back in without damaging the radiator, if I did not damage it already. I need some advice and quick! If you can help me out, I will be more than willing to make it worth your while. I can bet that a mechanic shop would charge $800 or better for this repair, and Ive done alternators all my life, but this car is brutal!
Expert:  Greg A replied 7 years ago.

Hi again,

Let me send along the instructions I have, which are a little different (but not much).

graphic

Here are the figures that go with this.

graphic

graphic

Please let me know if this helps, or if I can get you more details.

Just so you know, this job calls for about 2 hours of labor time for an experienced tech.

Please feel no pressure to accept this answer if it does not help.

Thanks, XXXXX

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry, but that part is kind of obvious. It is GETTING to the alternator that I am having problems with. I thought that was in the reply.
Expert:  Greg A replied 7 years ago.

Hi again,

I will open the question back up for other experts to try and help you, as that is about all I have at this point.

Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.

Do you have the front end up on jackstands or a set of car ramps?

You have removed the cooling fans, correct?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
front end is on stands, belly pan removed, fans are out, radiator stuck on A/C components, is there really room to remove the radiator, and if so, when that is gone, will the alternator slip out between the front sheet metal and engine through the hood opening? I even took out the battery!
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.

Put the radiator back - it only has to come out if you have a Seville, since you have a Deville it doesnt. The alternator will come out the bottom with the front lifted, the fans removed, the AC splash guard and the bottom access panel removed.

Once you have the bolts removed it will drop out the bottom with some turning and twisting and a little cussing.

Here are some photos of it actually dropping out the bottom with radiator still in vehicle:

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

BTW - you think this is a pain - wait until the starter goes - it is under the intake manifold in the engine valley.

You will not find many mechanics that are fans of this engine!

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have to go to work, will try this tonight, probably have to move the stands first. Sheesh. I like your solution so far. Should the fans come out the bottom as well? it was really tough getting them out through the top. That manual I got pretty much stinks.
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.
<p>Hi,</p><p> </p><p>The fans come out the top- there just isnt any easy way about it- alot of fighting, cussing and knuckle busting gets them up and out and then back in...</p><p> </p>