Greg A
Greg A, Master Troubleshooter
Experience:  Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ Years

1998 cadillac deville: changing my water pump drive belt

Customer Question

I need step by step instrutions for changing my water pump drive belt on my 1998 cadillac deville. Is it hard to do?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

Hello & Welcome,

Replacing the water pump is not too hard. That are quite a few steps, so you should take your time. There is one special tool that you would need, and may be able to get it as a rental or loan tool at some parts stores. Here is what that tool looks like and it is mentioned in the procedure below.

Water Pump Tool

graphic

Here is the procedure as a PDF file you should be able to view on your computer and print.

Replace Water Pump

Replace Air Cleaner Assm.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions.

Take Care, Greg A.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is not the water pump, it is just the water pump belt that i need to replace.
Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

Hi again. Sorry about that - I missed a couple of words. Let's try again.

Remove the water pump belt shield.

graphic

Loosen the water pump belt adjuster.

graphic

Remove the belt from the water pump.

graphic

Reverse instructions to install replacement belt.

Sorry about that. I hope this helps.

Take Care, Greg A.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are there any bolts i need to remove?
Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

You shouldn't really need to remove any bolts to just change the belt, but if it is really tight in there, you could remove the belt adjuster bolt to get more space for the replacement belt to get in there.

I will do some more checking of the documents to see if I missed anything & let you know.

Thanks, XXXXX

Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

I do have another picture or two, but these are assuming that you are replacing the water pump. I don't have one of these around the shop right now, so it is hard for me to remember exactly when the belt comes off.

Here is the next step for removing & replacing the water pump, continuing from above:

Remove the water pump adjuster pulley retaining bolt

graphic

Then remove the pulley from the water pump. Notice the belt is still there in the picture.

graphic

Remove the water pump retaining bolts.

graphic

Remove water pump from engine.

graphic

Please let me know how it goes.

Take Care, Greg A.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

So the shield just snaps on and off? Also how do I loosen the belt adjuster? So if i am asking too many questions i have never done this before s that is why i was looking for step by step insturtions. Also how do I retighten the belt once it is on?

Thanks for your help

Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

As best as I can remember, since I don't have the car in front of me, the shield does have some slots and tabs that hold it in place.

I seem to remember that the adjuster is like a belt tensioner that is "spring loaded" to hold pressure on the belt. So you would move it in one direction to loosen the tension. The tension would be applied when the belt is put back in place.

Don't feel bad about asking questions - that is good. I just feel bad that I can not be there myself to walk you through it.

Do you have a friend that can help you out? It is always good to have another set of eyes, and hands, to do these things.

Thanks, XXXXX

Greg A, Master Troubleshooter
Experience: Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ Years
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The tensioner is spring loaded, but i can not get the new belt between it and a bolt holding the valve cover on. Is there a way to remove the tensioner? I don't think i can remove the valve cover bolt without removing the tensiner first. so the tensioner has to go but how? Hope you can help.
Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

Hi again. Sorry for the delay.

Is the tensioner you are referring to the one shown in the pictures above (for the water pump belt)? If so, the instructions do say to remove the water pump adjuster pulley retaining bolt.

I also have a note out to a few of the other experts here to see if they have some input or recent exposure to this job. I will let you know what I hear back.

Thanks, XXXXX

Expert:  Greg A replied 5 years ago.

Hi again,

I got the following from another expert for the main drive belt. I am not sure if that is what you need, but here it is.

graphic

Thanks, XXXXX