michael
michael, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  18+ years GM exp. ASE Master tech L1 ASE Adv Lvl Driveability Diag GM training
10669957

1999 Cadillac Deville Security Lockout engages and car wont start

Customer Question

This has happened several times and I don't know what's causing it. I read online today that the problem could be solved if I knew how to use and ohm meter to determine the problem. Can you tell me more about that or what to look for to resolve this issue?

Thank you.

Roy
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  michael replied 5 years ago.

hello... the "procedure" they are speaking of online would require you to

1. measure the resistance of the black/silver pellet imbedded in the ignition key.
  2. then purchase a resistor of that same reading ( give or take about 25 ohms)
  3. then cut the 2 small white wires inside the orange colored conduit at the bottom of the steering column
  4. install the resistor in between those 2 wires to basically take the place of the ignition switch.

your effectively taking the lock cylinder out of the theft system. seeing that 90% of the time the wires at the top edge of the lock cylinder break anyways... and since resistors rarely fail. this "trick" would make it so that you wouldn't have to keep replacing the cylinder every time the wire breaks.

michael, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 18+ years GM exp. ASE Master tech L1 ASE Adv Lvl Driveability Diag GM training
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We'll give it a try. Thank for your help.
Expert:  michael replied 5 years ago.
your welcome and thank you for using Just Answer. have a good day.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OK. So the people we've talked to so far won't touch the resistor. Does that mean we need to take it to a shop? Does it have to go to the dealer or can other mechanics work the problem? We don't want to keep having more issues pop up with this.

One place told us we would have to bring it back in and pay for another diagnosis on it and then the fix on top of what they've already done. (I understood horses better. LOL)

Expert:  michael replied 5 years ago.

hello... the reason most people wont install the resistor is because of a "liability factor"... it is a theft deterant and if altered... they COULD be held liable.

a dealer would just try to install another ignition lock cylinder and you'd still end up with this issue again in the future. if you can obtain a resistor... that is the right ohms... just about any independant shop should install it.

i'd ONLY recommend a diagnosis of the vehicle if you feel it needs to go into a shop... that way you can get the diagnostic and install whatever part they may recommend. but if you obtain the correct resistor... you could wire it in yourself in about 30 minutes.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The value of the resistor is rated in different wattages. How heavy of a wattage should I use.