Cahelp4u, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase certification

1997 cadillac deville: disconnected..doors..disable..anti theft device

Customer Question

Gradually I was getting a warning that due to my antitheft system the car may not start. This morning we disconnected the battery, locked the doors with the key several times, but the car will not start.What can I do to start it , and can I disable th anti theft device?
This is a 1997 Cadillac Daville
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Cahelp4u replied 7 years ago.
Have you tried another key at this point? Is this the factory anti theft system?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes w tried another key and yes it is the factory. Also I noticed that the door lock is not working . You used to be able to use the button to lock all doors even with all power off but not now. Finally, the factory stereo was changed a few weeks ago to a non factory stereo. the car ran fine after that .
would that have any effect?
Expert:  Cahelp4u replied 7 years ago.
Your car is equipped with a vats style theft system. This system uses a resistor built into the key to allow for the starter to engage. This system is commonly known to fail due to a faulty ignition cylinder. See there are two small wires that come out of the ignition cylinder and run down the steering column. The problem is over years of the cylinder turning on and off, the wires tend to break inside of the conduit. This stops the theft system from having the ability to read the resistance in your key. If you have a voltmeter we can verify this problem for sure. Feel free to contact me with any questions or problems! Good luck!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I do have a voltmeter. What do I do
Expert:  Cahelp4u replied 7 years ago.
Well the first thing you will need to do is simply measure the resistance of the key for your car. This is done by simply touching the probes one each side of the metal parts of the resistor on the each side of the key. This will give you the resistance your car needs to allow for a start. Then I would recommend finding the two small wires encased in orange conduit at the base of the steering column. Follow these wires to the point they plug and and unplug this point. Insert your key into the key cylinder and then use your probes on each contact at the connector. You should see the same amount of resistance. If not, then there is a problem with the ignition cylinder.