DriverDave
DriverDave, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  29 Years Experience, Engine Performance, Driveability Expert and Advanced Level Smog Diagnosis
16810581

My 2003 Cadillac CTS will randomly not start. It is turning

My 2003 Cadillac CTS will randomly not start. It is turning over...and over, but will not start. I've tried letting it sit, pumping the pedal a little, then a bit more, but nothing. It seems to start after about 20-30 minutes of sitting, but I always need to press down on the pedal to give it a little gas. The 'check engine' light does NOT come on so I can't run diagnostics at the local auto parts store to help me out. Ideas?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  DriverDave replied 7 years ago.
Customer

More than likely you have a bad crank sensor. Very common.

Have had many with no codes, (some set a code but most do not) and no way to verify the problem but it has fixed every one.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Could it be anything else? I just want to make sure not to get taken at the dealership. I caught them quoting something they said needed a major repair when it turned out to be something minor ( a $400 difference) Not sure I'll take it back to the dealership anyway.

Like I said it's not for sure but I have never had any thing else cause this on this vehicle.

It's not that big of a job. You have to get the crank sensor from the dealer and it's around $60.00 i think. Then you could just have someone install it. It goes in the drivers side of the engine block and the wire goes up behind the motor and connects to the harness at the rear of the valve cover. You need a hoist and the engine should be cold. It's about 1 hour labor.