DriverDave
DriverDave, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  29 Years Experience, Engine Performance, Driveability Expert and Advanced Level Smog Diagnosis
16810581

I have a 1998 cadillac catera, oil is gettin in the coolant.

I have a 1998 cadillac catera, oil is gettin in the coolant. the car doesn't overheat and runs fine. no coolant in the engine or a doesn't show it. this car was repair the heads obout 5 months ago.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  DriverDave replied 8 years ago.
Customer

More than likely you have a leak in what GM calls an oil cooler, but is really a heat exchanger. It's located in the valley or the engine, under the intake manifold. It likely needs to be resealed.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I replece the oil cooler, but now water is in the oil, I don't undestand why. The car doesn'y overheat and when I check the oil before didn't show water in it. Any suggestions?
Did you change the oil after you did the repair?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
not immidiatly, after i started.
How do you know you have water in the oil?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is showing a mix like chocolate, and olso smogs in the back pipe
Sounds bad. Sounds like the new cooler has a hole in it. Was it a new one from the dealer?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No it was used, but I tested it with air pressure and didn't leak. Do you think water is getting insede the engine now. before only oil was in the coolant. can be possible the cooler is bad to the point that leaks water inside the engine?

If it can leak one way, yes it can leak the other. Just depends on wich one has a higher pressure. I did a little checking a some cases have it like yours. If it's different than before it has to be that or a seal problem.

I heard that the dealer has a new version that is not prone to cracking and is cheaper, around $180.00 but you need to check on that with the parts dept at Cadillac.

The used one may have failed when it got hot and under pressure.