Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Cadillac Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2001 Cadillac Deville has check engine light on. check reveals

Customer Question

2001 Cadillac Deville has check engine light on. check reveals code p0741 tcc and p1860 tcc soleniod. without repairing - can this code be erased to eliminate the check engine light from continuously staying on. technician says running the auto will not harm the transmission. it just will not shift into a higher overdrive gear.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Gm Tech (Cam) replied 7 years ago.
Welcome. These codes are for the torque converter clutch being stuck off. I have seen 2 possible causes for this. The first is a bad seal and the other is a bad solenoid. This will lower fuel economy and may eventually overheat the transmission depending on the driving style and load. You cannot turn the code off with out repairing it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I GUESS THE REPAIR REQUIRES A COMPLETE TRANSMISSION OVERHAUL. THIS IS APROXIMATELY A $3000 OUTLAY -HARDLY WORTH IT ON A 2001 WITH 75,000 MILES. I ASSUME THE CADILLAC WARRANTY DOES NOT APPLY.
What is your VIN and I can check. As for the worth, These cars do last and I have seen these and done this repair at 150,000 miles so I guess that depends on what the car is worth. I would start with proper diagnosis. If it is the solenoid, you are looking at 800 or so. The engine and transmission come out very easily as a unit with the sub frame. I did one in 3 hours before, but that was only the solenoid.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
2001 CADILLAC 1G6KD54YB1U175863
It does not appear that there is any warranty for this issue.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THANKS
My pleasure. Have a great day.