PhillipsEsq
PhillipsEsq, Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

If there are serious building/housing code violations on

Customer Question

If there are serious building/housing code violations on rental property and someone notified the local inspector and then the property owner denies the inspector access to the property... What can be done? Other than the city attorney issuing a warning, that is...
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: CA Real Estate
Expert:  PhillipsEsq replied 12 days ago.

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

The City can fine the property owner until the property owner provides access to the premises. So, the City can do more than issue warning. The City can levy fines until the property owner complies.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
But, is there anything that a private citizen (a former tenant of the property in question) can do to compel the city to take action?
This landlord WILL rent the unit out again, as hazardous as it is, despite the fact that the unit has never had a certificate of occupancy!

A former Tenant has no legal standing to compel the City to do anything with regard to the building.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
It's complicated. I am still a tenant but the landlord got a restraining order against me before the Unlawful detainer process was complete.

Thank you for the clarification. The only thing you can do is to keep calling the City's Inspections Department to see when they are finally going to have access to the building. You cannot force the City to take action against the property owner. The City already has tools to force the property owner to give the inspectors access to the premises.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
My concern is that the City is showing her special treatment and will not force the issue.

I have nothing else to add. So, I will opt out to give another Attorney the opportunity to further assist you.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you very much.