Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I live in the bay area. My income is low (but I didn't ask

Customer Question

I live in the bay area. My income is low (but I didn't ask for any state assistance). As the rent is high, I was thinking of purchasing a house/apartment in the bay area.
Could you refer me to a number of websites/programs that give assistance/support/discount to purchase a house/apartment in the area? I don't mind buying a place that I can fix.
The only one I know is HUD. The problem is that I hardly find anything in this area.
Category: CA Real Estate
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid that aside from HUD, you are going to have to start looking for foreclosure sales as the real estate market in SF is through the roof and there is not much available at all and no real programs other than HUD in that area that you can really use. The SF Department of Building Inspection has a list of abandoned properties that are on the list for demolition that you could possibly acquire (http://homeguides.sfgate.com/research-abandoned-properties-65509.html and also http://sfpublicpress.org/news/2010-08/run-down-pay-up-a-list-of-san-francisco-blighted-properties).
So you have to start looking at blighted properties or abandoned properties if you want any type of deal in that area.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.