Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

HOA are not share inspection and vendor proposal documents?

Customer Question

HOA are not share inspection and vendor proposal documents ? I had noise ( which was generated by water pump is owned by HOA it;s common pump for community ) issue in my home so HOA sent Acoustic engineer to measure noise , after measurement he wrote report and confirm there is high noise and needs to fix . But as Acoustic engineer hired by HOA so i can not directly ask copy of report from him. Now I have requested copy of report HOA management company is not responding at all. Can you guys tell me by law as home owner do i have right to see inspection report which was done in my home ? if yes can you pl suggest how do I approach HOA company to next time can not delay to sharing any documents . if you can reference lawy and code/section number regarding rights how home owner which say - I have right to see/get a copy or reports and vendor proposal which will fix the noise issue.
Category: CA Real Estate
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
CA Civil Code 5200-5240 give an owner the right to inspect association records and none of the statutes exclude reports of repairs or inspections of units. See: http://www.calassoc-hoa.com/Homeowners-Association/Documents-Forms/Access-to-Association-Records.aspx
If they are refusing to let you see the records, you can file a complaint with the attorney general's office and you could also sue them for the report and failure to produce documents.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.