LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have nearly three decades of legal experience, including Real Estate Law, and have held a Real Estate Broker's License.

If the seller of home gets very ill and needs surjury after

Customer Question

If the seller of home gets very ill and needs surjury after a contract was accepped on his home and needs to stay at this home, during my recovery 6 to 12 months can I get out of this contract???? In other words my health issues prevent me from selling for an unknown time can I get out of this contract
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: CA Real Estate
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 month ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. This is not likely going to be a legal basis to back out of the contract and not close, on the agreed upon date. Of course, you can advise the buyer of the situation and hope they understand and agree to cancel the contract but they do not have to. They can demand you close and relocate, as you intended to do prior to. I say this because if a buyer enters into a contract to sell their home, they likely have an idea of where they will be moving to and relocating to. As such, that place is still available for them and if needed, they would have to hire a 3rd party moving company to assist them. I know it is not ideal and recovery is key but if the buyer is unwilling to cooperate and show compassion, they could try and sue you for damages if you fail to close.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!