LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have nearly three decades of legal experience, including Real Estate Law, and have held a Real Estate Broker's License.
15277592

If someone wants to rent out their residence, is there any

Customer Question

If someone wants to rent out their residence, is there any specific requirement
to notify the home owners insurance company? Or any certain insurance that needs to be
added to the home owners insurance policy?
Thank You,
Fred
Category: CA Real Estate
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.
Good afternoon Fred,I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If you are renting it out on a short term basis (like for a weekend or just a couple of weeks) then you would not need to change your homeowner's policy. But if this is going to be a rental unit in the long term then you will need to notify your insurance company that you are converting the property to a rental and you will need a landlord style homeowner's policy which will typically cost a bit less because it doesn't cover property owned by the renter. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.
Good afternoon,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug