LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have nearly three decades of legal experience, including Real Estate Law, and have held a Real Estate Broker's License.
15277592

1990 Novato California approved a 68 unit housing

Customer Question

1990 Novato California approved a 68 unit housing development that included a Landscape and Lighting assessment district. Until prop 218 passed a fee was collected from the new homeowner to fund the district upon the completion of the development. This stopped when 218 became law. Approx 30 homeowners were charged. Included in this district were 3 drainage basins as well as landscaping. When the builder got his final the city approached the homeowners of the situation and the homeowners voted to form a district (not a homeowners association) to be administered by the city. The three goals were landscape maintenance, inspection and clearing of the drainage basins during winter months and a perimeter fire break around the subdivision and it's dedicated open space. 16 years later the city now informs us that a basin needs $40k repairs and it's our responsibility. We were never told that the basins were the districts liability when the district was formed.
So the question. When prop 218 passed did the responsibility go back to the city. California, Marin County and the city of Novato required it as part of the building permit?
We thought we were being extra prudent in protecting our properties by paying a landscape contractor to keep them clean knowing how a city gets overcomes when it storms. These basins are on open space administered by the city of Novato
Category: CA Real Estate
Expert:  PhillipsEsq replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry, but I do not understand your question:

"So the question. When prop 218 passed did the responsibility go back to the city. California, Marin County and the city of Novato required it as part of the building permit?"

Kindly clarify.

Thank you for your cooperation,