LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have nearly three decades of legal experience, including Real Estate Law, and have held a Real Estate Broker's License.
15277592

I also have question about the boundery fence between my

Customer Question

I also have question about the boundery fence between my yard an another's yard not the one in the first question.I have sent letter. I called and confirmed he received the letter by office personnel. I called again to speak to him.The following is the letter I sent. I am your neighbor across from your Temple Adat Yeshuran Valley at*****I am wring you this second letter. A large mature tree in the back yard of*****was cut down on 12/24/2015. This tree was right next to the redwood fence between the properties. One heavy about 3 ft long trunk of tree fell on the fence damaging the fence. The crew did repair the fence with new redwood material later that same day. Now the fence does not look the same. There is noticeable difference. I am going to be selling my home. I want you to power wash all of my fence. I do have pictures showing how the fence looked before the damage and after the damage on the same day. I can show them to you. You can also come over to talk to me if you wish.I am awaiting your answer.
Category: CA Real Estate
Expert:  Michael Lykken, Esq replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed California real estate attorney. Thank you for using this service, and please understand that I can only provide you with general legal advice in this forum. Given that, I am not quite sure of your question. Can you please clarify it for me? Thank you!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am asking the neighbor to power was my fence. His tree fell on the boundary fence we share. destroying redwood 15 of the boards. The fence was repaired with new material. The aesthetics of the fence is impacted. I am getting my house ready for sale. The fence looked fine before the tree fell and damage the fence. The new wood stands out now, today. The fence doen't. good as it had. First impressions of buyers influence them. As it is the yard with the fence is a negative. The yard's looks are changed. I want the owner to power wash the whole fence so it looks uniform.. Plan #1 is to ask for the cleaning to be done. Plan # ***** I power wash the fence and file in small claims court. I have pictures of the fence before and after.that shows the what a difference there is I want the owner to power wash the whole fence at his expense..
Thank you.. .

Hello and thank you for getting back to me. The duty of your neighbor is to repair the fence. However, I don't think you could make much of a legal case that he should powerwash the entire fence to make it aesthetically pleasing. As long as it is repaired in the same material and manner as the part that was destroyed, the other owner would have met the legal requirement. What is the cost to do this?