CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I have experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses, and other individuals in real estate matters.
71563194

I am a condo unit owner who needed a plumbing repair that I

Customer Question

I am a condo unit owner who needed a plumbing repair that I did not have access to...The plumber had to cut a 2 foot hole in my ceiling to make the repair. The CC& R's states that I am only reasonable for pipe that I do have reasonable access to. The Association
refused to pay the bill of $490. and are threatening to file a lien/foreclosure for the $490 plus an additional $500 for attorney fees and other charges.
Category: CA Real Estate
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 12 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Davis Stirling provides you with alternative dispute resolution (you get an opportunity to dispute this informally with your board prior to having to go to court over the matter - as an owner, you have a right to this dispute resolution).

Contact the board (in writing) and make a formal request for dispute resolution (see: http://www.davis-stirling.com/InternalDisputeResolution/tabid/1239/Default.aspx).

If this fails, you can then file a small claims case (this is well below the $10,000.00 CA small claims limit) for breach of contract, the court can issue declaratory relief regarding each parties' respective liability under the terms of your CC&Rs). See: http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-smallclaims.htm for specific details on this process, and the court forms that you will use.