Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

This question is Educator, Esq. I am creating new month to

Customer Question

This question is for Law Educator, Esq. I am creating new month to month room rental agreements with existing housemates as I assume the lease for the entire house from the landlord. I have 2 questions. 1- I will be raising the rent slightly, but need
to give 30 days notice for CA law. Can I serve a Change of Terms immediately to accomplish that if I have just signed a new rental agreement reflecting the current rent? 2- As I am leasing the entire house and renting out rooms with the landlord's approval,
is me designation 'Landlord' or 'Manager' in regard to my tenants agreements with me?
Category: CA Real Estate
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You can have a complete change in terms of your month to month rental agreement with 30 day notice to the tenants. So you can raise rent and also change the terms of the month to month lease all in the new month to month rental agreement (lease). You are the "sub-landlord" as you are subleasing the rooms. So you are the primary tenant and the sub landlord and your tenants are considered sub-tenants.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The new rental agreements have already been signed at the previous rental rate. My question is whether I can still serve a Change of Terms with the new contract being so fresh or is there a waiting period before I can do that?
Thank you for your reply.
If they are month to month tenancies, you can give them a new agreement with 30 days notice of the changes. There is no waiting period. The terms can change any time and could change every month as long as you give 30 day advance notice of the change.