Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

About 15 years ago, I was swindled in a timeshare purchase,

Customer Question

About 15 years ago, I was swindled in a timeshare purchase, where I have a fat sheaf of paper from all the dealings I have had about this, trying to get my money back, including a statement from the salesperson about how she had lied to me. My unpaid dues
were turned over to two or three collection agencies, years ago, and when I sent them my papers they all gave up. It has been some years since I’ve heard from anyone. Maybe 8. I have had concern about my credit being affected and so have paid the property
tax each year, and am wondering if this homespun advice I gave myself is wasting $80 a year. If I stop paying it, would there be consequences?
Category: CA Real Estate
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you stop paying the taxes, that is different than just not paying for the dues/fees. While the statute of limitations may have expired on them suing you for the delinquent fees, if you do not pay taxes they can foreclose on the property for taxes, which would be no skin off of your nose, because then the tax assessor would auction it for delinquent taxes and it would out of your hands completely.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I presume the stature has run out or would the unpaid fee every year keeping this situation alive? And what I wanted to know is whether my stopping paying those taxes, where they foreclose, would result in damage to my credit rating.

Thank you for your reply.

The statute of limitations has run on them suing you for the default on the unit, but if you pay the fee even one month of it, then it restarts that statute of limitations.

IF you stop paying your taxes on the unit and they foreclose, they generally do not send the debt to credit bureaus unless it is over $20,000 or more in debt. So most times not paying your property taxes would not go on your credit report.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any way to ascertain for sure that it wouldn't go on my credit report?

Thank you for your reply.

There are no guarantees on anything like this. The IRS and state revenue agencies in general do not report to credit bureaus as I said unless the debt is more than $20,000.