LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have nearly three decades of legal experience, including Real Estate Law, and have held a Real Estate Broker's License.
15277592

How many cars can a single man own if he is on permanent

Customer Question

How many cars can a single man own if he is on permanent California.dissability as insuranc_
Category: CA Real Estate
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Your question was cut off. Can you please continue it?

Thanks,

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How many automobiles can a single man have registered in his name in California if he is on permanent disability and receiving money from state disability insurance
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good morning,

I'm a bit confused. The state of CA doesn't actually pay permanent disability. CA has a temporary disability program for people injured and unable to continue to work. This is paid through EDD, just like unemployment benefits are. CA also oversees a federal SSI, welfare program which is income/asset dependent. And finally, federal social security has a permanent disability (not welfare) program---SSDI---for workers who have become disabled before reaching full retirement age.

What, if any of these programs, are you receiving money from?

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The federal disability insurance
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good morning,

Do you mean federal social security disability (SSDI) or federal Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SSDI
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Thanks so much for the clarification.

I have good news for you. Because SSDI is a benefit that you earned by paying into social security, your disability benefit is not based on your wealth or on your assets. There is no limitation on the number of vehicles that you may own and still qualify for your full SSDI benefit.

Your SSDI benefit can only be limited by income that you actually earn from work while you are receiving SSDI benefits. Let me explain.

Social Security has what is called a trial work period. It is a period of 9 separate months where you may earn as much as you want. In 2015, any months you earn less than $780 gross wages in do not count. After you have had a total of 9 months where you earned more than $780 gross, you will be able to work and continue to receive benefits so long as you do not earn more than $1,090 per month.

Here is a link to a social security site which explains this in greater detail: http://www.ssa.gov/redbook/eng/ssdi-only-employment-supports.htm

So, under the circumstances, there is no limitation placed by Social Security on the number of vehicles that you may have registered in your name in CA.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug