Richard Price, Esq
Richard Price, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney at The Law Office of Richard Samuel Price
88270820

What do I do if a contractor doesn't meet the deadline

Customer Question

What do I do if a contractor doesn't meet the deadline of a contractual agreement?
Category: CA Real Estate
Expert:  Richard Price, Esq replied 1 year ago.

The first thing that you can do is talk to the contractor to understand what has happened and when the new deadline would be to complete the work.

If you cannot come to an agreement on when the work will be completed, then you should write a demand letter to the contractor to complete the work by a specified date, or you will terminate his contract and hire a new contractor to complete the work and deduct it from what you owe the first contractor.

If it costs you more to complete the work than the original estimate from the first contractor, then you can sue in small claims court for up to $10,000 for the difference.