CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I have experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses, and other individuals in real estate matters.
71563194

I am renting a 4,800 sf home in Fairfield, CA. My lease is

Customer Question

I am renting a 4,800 sf home in Fairfield, CA. My lease is one year with conversion to month-to-month on October 1, 2015. Two months ago the owner decided to sell the property and secured a realtor. The lease says, "landlord and/or his agents, with 24hours
written notice have the right during the term of this Lease Agreement to enter during reasonable hours to inspect the premises, make repairs or improvements or show prospective buyers and/or Tenant(s) the property." The realtor text me when she wants to show
the property and I have allowed same during the day during the week. Do I have to allow weekend showings. Do I have to allow a 2 to 4 hour open house?
Category: CA Real Estate
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

I am very sorry to learn of this terrible inconvenience.

Unfortunately, yes, you do have to permit these showings of your home. As long as the landlord (and his agents) are not abusing their right of entry/access by showing the unit, they are going to be permitted to show the unit for purposes of marketing and selling the home.

If the realtor is making unannounced showings, or if the landlord is making entry for no legitimate purpose, then you have a basis to sue the landlord for breach of contract and violation of your "implied right of quiet enjoyment", but based on what you have posted, it appears that you are a victim of being a tenant in the unfortunate circumstance of renting at the time the landlord decides to sell. (I am sorry, and I do wish I had a different answer for you).