CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I have experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses, and other individuals in real estate matters.
71563194

My daughter is under a lease agreement to a property that

Customer Question

My daughter is under a lease agreement to a property that has been sold. Term of her lease is one year expiring March 2016. New owners want her to move. In California, what is a reasonable amount for relocation assistance that my daughter shld be entitled
to?Rental is located Moreno Valley, Ca within Tivetsodr County.
Category: CA Real Estate
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer, I am sorry to learn of this situation. Unfortunately, Riverside County does not exercise rent control, so there is no set relocation fee for this.Your daughter is entitled to negotiate with her new landlord for a price she deems fair to terminate the lease early and find a new place to live. While she has the upper hand in these negotiations from a legal perspective, it is generally a good idea not to "overplay the hand" I would recommend that she look around for comparable rentals in the same market, find how much it will cost for her to relocate (new security deposit, movers fees, etc.) and then perhaps negotiate in a guarantee on getting her security deposit back with no dispute over repairs etc.Make sure she gets any resolution in writing with the landlord - don't leave anything to a verbal or "handshake" agreement.If she reaches an impasse, I would recommend contacting the Riverside County Bar Association and asking for referrals to local mediators - a third party neutral can usually help parties reach a "mutually agreeable resolution" if they cannot reach one without it.I wish you both the best with this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! I meant Riverside County.
You are welcome, and I do wish you the best with this matter.Thank you for using our forum, and please do not forget to rate my service so that I can receive credit for assisting you.Thank you again, and again I wish you the best
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am I correct in understanding that unlike LA County, there is no set relocation fee available, when a tenant is requested to move because of new ownership? They are in a one year lease and being asked to move out before lease expires.
That is correct, there are very few jurisdictions in California with rent control (Riverside County is not one of them).Your daughter is still entitled to the remainder of her 1 year lease, which is why she can negotiate for the relocation type fees (she is negotiating for breach of contract damages).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lastly, if she does not accept a low offer, can she be evicted from the property or is she protected by her lease agreement and can take owners to court?
No, her lease agreement would protect her, but eventually the landlord will succeed in being able to terminate the lease. So it will work best to work constructively with the landlord (again I would recommend first negotiating with the landlord directly, then moving on to mediation with a third party neutral.