LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
15277592

I was put on investigatory suspension with pay and scheduled

Customer Question

I was put on investigatory suspension with pay and scheduled to meet with Human Resource and my manager in a couple days.. My job is represented by a Union. This is all new to me should I have a representative from the Union join me in the meeting
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: this is in Long Beach, CA
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: full time 12 hr shift
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't mind at all.... should I inform you of the issue?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a CA licensed attorney for more than 3 decades.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge of Just $6 more I can offer you a personal phone conference during which there is no limitation on the number of questions you can ask of me, as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. What are you being investigated for?

2. Have you communicated with your union yet about the issues?

3. How long have you been on suspension so far?

4. What are your job duties?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I work for a hospital as a Patient Care Assistant (CNA) as of last year they have installed an estimate of 10 camera to utilize in patient's who are unstable, fall risk, violent to themselves as well as to others. One particular night while viewing these patients on a screen for 12 hours I confess I drifted off. (No one was injured) however I was awaken ....my fault... I rested more than 6 hours that day and I didn't work the previous day. In previous conversations with this same manager a few of the staff that do the same expressed that there should be a slit in the shift and have a another cowkr trade, due to the strain on your eyes. Needless to say because I have never had to go to HR and never been suspend.. should I be accompanied by my union?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have been on suspension about 3 hours so far.
Im waiting for a representative to call me backMy job duties involve caring for a estimate of 10 or more patients, chkg their vitals, repositioning, charting all of their nightly activities, making sure of their intake and output etc........
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Are you willing to have me call you to discuss all of these complex issues? I believe I can best help you in a conversation because of the complexity of these issues and because hospitals are generally difficult to deal with. I have represented nurses in actions against hospitals and nursing facilities on many occasions, and my wife is a nurse, so I understand how the health care employment situation is.

Doug