Maverick
Maverick, Civil Trial and Appellate Lawyer
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
16823287

I am self employed and I often share commissions with other

Customer Question

I am self employed and I often share commissions with other individuals. On 12/20/16 I wrote a check to a broker, but he did not deposit it until 1/3/2017. I sent it out no later than 12/21/2016 so he must have received it in 2016. Question: Do I include this in his 1099-MISC in 2016 or 2017? I account for my income and expenses on a cash basis. Thanks for the tip.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

You would include this in 2016 as the Form 1099-MISC is filed for each person to whom you have paid during the year at least $600 in services performed by someone who is not your employee.

Please Note:

(1) The information I provide is general in nature and for educational purposes only. For example, it may help you identify the scope of receiving unbundled legal services from a local lawyer. It should not be construed as “legal advice” or as the rendition of “legal services” on any subject matter. I am not a specialist in any field. This information may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction and is not guaranteed to be correct or complete. No attorney-client relationship is established without a signed written agreement and our communications are not confidential. Please do not act or fail to act based on this information alone. If you need legal advice or services regarding a specific matter, you should consult in-person with a local lawyer who can guide you after reviewing all the pertinent details of your situation. This disclaimer also applies to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

(3) When we are done, please assign a feedback rating.