Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

How to deal with employee who filed for disability, has

Customer Question

how to deal with employee who filed for disability, has stopped working but he has a medical plan trough our company for which he pays 50% and he also has a National medical request to pay medical for his children. I have reasons to believe he will not return to work. Can I terminate his medical insurance what about for his dependents- I know I will not be able to recover premiums from him.Thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Unfortunately, you cannot terminate is his medical coverage if he still employed and paying his share of the premium.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is not paying his share of the premium plus he just told me he is not coming to work because he will file disability. No paperwork was done for Fmla. He also has child support and a national medical notice to cover his children. How do I stop that- do I give written notice to pay and terminate? Is it ok to ask him directly?

Thank you for the information.

You need to give him a written notice to pay. Otherwise, his coverage would be terminated.